News How to Make a Raspberry Pi Work-From-Home Status Indicator

Aug 30, 2020
Erp!
"Optional: You can 3D print a case for your Raspberry Pi and LCD screen here. "
I guess you meant "here" to be a link, but it's not. At least not on my Chrome on PC.
They are on the link the exists later in the document thankfully.

=)
John

Aug 30, 2020
clicked thru thinking it would be an indicator showing the webcam ur busy w/family. its to keep family away from u at home?

this is gross, your priorities are backwards

Aug 30, 2020
I can offer 2 potential answers.

1. Point the webcam at the sign.. Problem corrected.
  2. Raspberry Pi projects can be seen much like Lego sets. You buy them because of what they are but you then create whole new things with it especially if you happen to own maybe a couple other sets to include.

In terms of learning to program, this could be a website which you pick apart the HTML, CSS, & Javascript to construct it but then use pieces of this with pieces of that to make something new which is more your own... part of a common method of learning.

In the same vein, this is a somewhat simple project in which isn't difficult to see how your work on "A" results in product "B" but aspects of it could be pieced together with other ideas you may have to create something not so entirely different but not necessarily the same. For example, I could see where the same system with a different software implementation could be used to issue the secret words to whomever's turn it is at Charades, or Taboo, or Pictionary, etc without having to bring cards along. Then you expand on that to have it able to roll virtual dice and a few projects later, it's your pocket sized Game Night RPi you have ready to take around as soon as COVID limitations let up...

Someone has tried adding to the world instead of tearing it down for reasons and outcomes that I can't imagine affect you any more negatively than not catching a green light while driving. May I suggest in the future that you could just choose to ignore it?

Sep 1, 2020
So i'm trying to make this project a reality, but I'm running into this Remote IO error[Errno 121]

Everything is plugged into it's proper pin, not sure what the problem is.

Sep 1, 2020
clicked thru thinking it would be an indicator showing the webcam ur busy w/family. its to keep family away from u at home?

this is gross, your priorities are backwards

I kind of see this as a self reminder to keep focused and accountable to a task and schedule. ADHD sucks <3

Aug 30, 2020
So i'm trying to make this project a reality, but I'm running into this Remote IO error[Errno 121]

Everything is plugged into it's proper pin, not sure what the problem is.

I know you said everything is connected to the right pin, however this error is almost universally caused by bad wiring. It could even be defective in the display though highly unlikely. If you really think it's all perfect then before giving up I'd say remove all the jumpers, set them aside, then wire the display again using new cables. It could be that your connection between the cable end and the pin was unsatisfactory or something. Also, I have found that once a single wire is 1 pin off, it's easy to mistakenly wire more. Doing this would be a good way of also confirming you haven't done anything like that.

Good luck!

Sep 10, 2020
question - on this step - Important Note: Your desktop computer and your Raspberry Pi must both be connected to the same WiFi network in this step.
Any easy way to be able to reach the 192.168.x.x:5000 site from another subnet? It works fine if I use my laptop on the same subnet(same wifi network), but if I try from another machine that is on another subnet(diff wifi network with access to first wifi network), I can reach the site, but if I press any of the buttons, it does not change the status.

Oct 27, 2020
I loved this project. Found it after the missus walked in on a video call. I don't have access to a 3D printer, so this was my crude solution...

VtpVmjv.jpg