How to make a tablet as simple as possible?

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
My grandmother is almost 90 years old but she likes playing simple games on her laptop - Solitaire and Purble Place mainly - so I let her try my Samsung tablet to see how she got on with it and she found it quite easy thank to the intuitive touchpad.

So, great idea for a Xmas present, a cheap tablet good enough to run a few simple games. Great.
The problem is that the Android OS also has an array of functions that are confusing even for the average user, and the tablet also has several physical buttons. Remember, my grandmother is almost 90, and she struggles with anything more complicated than a TV remote.

I want to take a cheap tablet and disable as many functions as possible, all it needs is an on/off button and a few games. NOTHING else, so the more I can get rid of the better.

Is this doable?

Berryal

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Don't see why not. I guess make the home screen a simple launcher with only the apps she needs to access on their. Get rid of the lock screen, so that the power button brings you straight to the home screen not even requiring a swipe. Make sure she's already set up with most of the things she'll ever need; WiFi passwords, games she wants, apps she needs, maybe any books she wants to read, etc.

Remove the app tray icon, so that only apps on the home screen are available to use directly, this should be easily possible with a launcher. In terms of which tablet to go for, just don't go with an Amazon tab and you should be alright. They're far too restrictive. A nexus is preferable.

Most of the complicated android functions are optional given everything has been set up fully on first boot.