how to make all videos play same decibels DB volume level

Status
Not open for further replies.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi all

I don't know If this topic is in the right forum section or not !

I have movies that weer decoded with different programs and output type's. Some are loud and some are quiet. I like using PLEX server.

Any suggestions ?

Solution
I don't know why this is not a common, and easily solved thing. Quite some time ago, I gave up and transcoded all my videos to MP4, then used AACGain to normalize the audio levels. AACGain is just like MP3Gain for video. It will achieve what you want, but it's not doing it on the fly, it is actually modifying the video. It took a moment to normalize my libray of music and video, but once it was done, everything is at the same audio level, which is very nice.
I don't know why this is not a common, and easily solved thing. Quite some time ago, I gave up and transcoded all my videos to MP4, then used AACGain to normalize the audio levels. AACGain is just like MP3Gain for video. It will achieve what you want, but it's not doing it on the fly, it is actually modifying the video. It took a moment to normalize my libray of music and video, but once it was done, everything is at the same audio level, which is very nice.

Solution

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017

hmm sweet .. how long does it take to transcoding my videos to MP4 on 100 movies ? Each movie rufly 700mb-1.2gb. Also any sujestions on program for transcoding all my videos to MP4 ? I use windows 7 and 10 and ubuntu.

This is SOO much easier on Linux. So that is good news that you have Ubuntu. Not my prefered distro, but it will be easy to work with. Use Handbrake to transcode to MP4. MP4 also has the advantage of playing on pretty much everything at this point. However you will need to add a PPA as the one included with Ubuntu doesn't do something, I forget what though. Google Stebbins Handbrake PPA, it will come up. You will want to use EasyMP3Gain as a GUI for AACGain. Also installed MP3 gain. Google Martin Wimpress Audio Stuff PPA for aacgain and mp3gain.

As for the transcoding, you can just queue this stuff up and let it run. It will just depend on the speed of your PC. I originally did most of my videos on an I5 and just let my PC run until it was done. MP3gain and AACgain you'll find is much more finicky, will work and will work with large amounts of files, but you can't touch anything or move the mouse etc while its working. If you do you run the risk of it erroring out. Let it process, then apply the changes, then close out. If the data corruption error pops up I close out of it and start over.

Its not that bad, I just checked my video folder, and its just over 4000 videos now that I've transcoded, which includes resizing, and then run through aacgain to normalize. All my MP3s are normalized too that way everything is the same volume level

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017

I just stated ubuntu becaus its most famus.. I acualy use many distro's. Witch one do you sujest for this subject ?

18fg0sdl1a1wjjpg.jpg

this wont help?

You can use Ubuntu for this, especially if it's what you already have. Both of those PPAs I mentioned are meant for Ubuntu actually. It's well supported. I used Ubuntu for a while many years ago, unfortunately got tired of it breaking my system every other update. It could have been my hardware but that pushed me back to Debian, which was more stable. Then I ran PCLinuxOS until they dumped Gnome. These days it's pretty much all Mint machines around here which is Ubuntu based. Either way Ubuntu didn't work out for me, it's likely it would be fine now for me too.

I can tell you a bunch of the stuff you need hasn't been compiled to run in the latest versions (at the time of install). I'm running Mint 19 on my machines, and even with the PPAs, there is no pre-compiled versions of mp3gain or aacgain for the version of ubuntu that it is based on. Which meant I had to manually install everything and it's dependencies. I got it all running, but everything was done outside of the synaptic package manager and the software manager.

Thats interesting. I'll admit at this point, I spend way too much time in Linux so I didn't know that option existed. The only down side to the option is it wouldn't help if you take the video / audio files to another device. At least if you modify the file, it will be the same sound level everywhere.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017

I agree. I did test out the windows option and it seems to work for now.. I wish I had the time right now to chaing the files.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017

I had one bad exspiranc the first time I used ubuntu. I some how ended up formating my external hdd that had all my media on it. So I have not ran ubuntu in over 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.