Question How to make Disk1 the boot drive and take Disk0 offline

mrblint

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Using Macrium I've restored a system partition image to a new SSD, Disk1.

Now I would like to take Disk0 offline, make Disk1 the boot partition, and reassign drive letter C: to Disk1.

Later I will physically remove Disk0.

How is that done? If there is a third-party utility that would make it a snap, recommendations would be appreciated!

Disk0 and Disk1 both now contain a System Reserved partition:
Image of Disk Management console

Last edited:

mrblint

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
What's stopping you from reinstalling the OS with the SSD of choice populated in your system(with all critical content backed up on a removable storage device) and format the other SSD/drive to rid it of all partitions?

Mainly: time constraints, and also that I don't own a removable storage device large enough to hold 460GB.

However, I've made the new SSD the boot disk in the BIOS, which action auto-reassigned the driver letters; now all I have to figure out is how to take the old SSD offline (not just inactive) until I have the time to actually take the machine apart and physically unplug and remove it.

Simple as that:
disconnect old drive first,​
boot from new drive.​
That's all, what is necessary. All drive letter changes happen automatically, first time you boot from the new drive. If you don't disconnect old drive, cloned system gets screwed up and you have to redo cloning.