Question How to make my Acer Aspire ES1-523 recognize a new battery?

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
So I'm looking to limp this thing along for a few more years until I can find a replacement. An essential part of that is a working battery. Replacements are easy to find on amazon and I bought a TIIANTE AC14B8K https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Z314RDW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title.

Installation went well and it booted right up first try. It said there was no battery, but it ran unplugged anyways. I figured; whatever: it seems to work fine.

Fast forward a few weeks and I notice that it now recognizes a battery, while plugged in at 255% of available power. Nice.

fast forward to a few days ago and it no longer recognizes a battery and it dies if unplugged and refuses to boot-up if not plugged in.

So, okay; answer seems to be drivers...none to be found on Acer. Acer says new bios...no new bios found for this model. Try to find brand website, no joy there either.

Thoughts besides buy a new laptop? 110% not in the budget right now. Thanks for your time.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Is there a tiny little hole on the underside of the Acer laptop (about 1mm in diameter)?

After replacing the bottom cover and replacing the screws (to activate a switch on the pcb), you press an unfolded paperclip through the hole for at least 5 seconds and "reset" the battery. You can't do this with the bottom cover removed. It sounds daft but usually fixes the problem.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/75-acer-internal-battery-reset

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Is there a tiny little hole on the underside of the Acer laptop (about 1mm in diameter)?

After replacing the bottom cover and replacing the screws (to activate a switch on the pcb), you press an unfolded paperclip through the hole for at least 5 seconds and "reset" the battery. You can't do this with the bottom cover removed. It sounds daft but usually fixes the problem.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/75-acer-internal-battery-reset
Alright, I did that, but it reset the laptop, with no change to the battery.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Crazy update: even thought it says "No battery detected", when I double-click on the battery icon, it shows the battery is charged to 100%. Yet the computer still refuses to operate if it is unplugged.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Second row from the bottom, right-most option.

I see it in the title listing but not in the greater compatibility list below in the description. It appears to have a pretty decisive shape in regard to having the same dimensions and fitment.

Have you tried to contact the seller and/or Amazon about a replacement?
I have had general good luck with these 3rd party batteries. Unless the pack is compatible with a lot of models or something which is very popular even the OEM batteries likely have been sitting on a shelf. At work, we use a place called The Battery Guy who makes up packs we need for strange e light batteries. I don't know for certain that they offer laptop batteries but it may be worth a look.

TRENDING THREADS