How to make my computer to see USB connected my phone?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I am connecting my phone to the Win 10 computer via USB and it would not see it. The phone is charging but I can not access it. When I connect to my work computer, it usually asks if I would allow to access this device, so I say, Yes, and it connects. This one- I think- it worked in the past but I may be wrong. How do I make it see it? I tried different USB port, I tried restart the computer. It did say, "configuring the device" or something of that nature. In devise manager I see one "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)", I don't know which port it referred to. Also when it is connected, Windows can not boot- it stays on Asus logo. Thank you.

Solution
Fair call on USB though you do seem to have a lot, so it could be one of them conflicting. I am not entirely sure how to work out which one it is, I could guess it might show you more info in event viewer (though if you look there, there will be a lot of errors - there are always errors in event viewer, its normal) for the error. You might be best asking on https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/ as they might have a better idea,

Chas_1

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
in the settings of your phone more then likely. pull down the top bar and see if it say anything about connecting with usb?

and or what phone are you using what os more info plox

Astralv

Distinguished
The phone is Galaxy Note 5. The BIOS are up to date (Asus Z87 Deluxe motherboard). It works fine at my work with some Windows 7 Enterprise edition lap top. At work it would ask if I allow to access the device. But here it does not ask anything. Just starts charging. And then computer would not be able to boot when it connected.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try downloading Smartswitch: http://www.samsung.com/au/apps/smartswitch/ or Kies 3: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

KIES is meant to have been replaced by Smartswitch so I linked both. Kies works with my S7 Edge so should work with Note as well.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for posting this wonderful link. I installed it and... nothing. It opens, it says, "Connect your device to begin", I connect and nothing happens. It just charging. The only other thing I can think of is that this cable may be damaged? It has visible isolation damage at the connection site after the phone fell while charging. I use different cable at work. I guess I will bring a cable from work to try. But it does charge, so... I really need to upload all these pictures from the phone- I need them to update my web site. Kind of urgent.

Astralv

Distinguished
For the method 2
Method 2: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers. Follow these steps:
a)    Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run box box and press OK.
b)    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
c)    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
d)    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
e)    Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

I have many things there. Uninstall them all? I have 6 Generic USB hubs, 2 generic super speed hubs, HP Office Jet, Intel 8 series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 and2, Intel USB 3.0 sExtensible controller, 2 USB Composite devices, USB Mass storage devices, USB printing support, 2 USB Root Hubs, USB Root Hub (xHCI). Looks to me irresponsible to uninstall all drivers. It says, "Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.". I don't know. Once when I updated from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1, I lost all USBs. I could not connect keyboard and mouse and I had to wipe out Windows and start all over. I don't even have back up for this computer- the last thing I want is to lose all USB ports (which happened once and it took days on Microsoft forum, explaining that I can not log in because I cant type and no one could solve it).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fair call on USB though you do seem to have a lot, so it could be one of them conflicting. I am not entirely sure how to work out which one it is, I could guess it might show you more info in event viewer (though if you look there, there will be a lot of errors - there are always errors in event viewer, its normal) for the error. You might be best asking on https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/ as they might have a better idea,

Solution