[SOLVED] How to make my own domain name for free at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2019
i want to make my own domain name at home bcz i don't want to pay just to use .com (mostly doing it for fun), how do i do it at home (i'm new to this stuff so i may sound stupid)

Solution
All you need is a DNS server and you can do what ever you like in your house. You can even steal domains and redirect them to your internal servers.

The key is only INSIDE your house. Any machine on the internet can not see your DNS and there is no way for you to get your DNS server linked to the internet unless you get actual register domains which cost lots of money and you must follow lots of rules.
All you need is a DNS server and you can do what ever you like in your house. You can even steal domains and redirect them to your internal servers.

The key is only INSIDE your house. Any machine on the internet can not see your DNS and there is no way for you to get your DNS server linked to the internet unless you get actual register domains which cost lots of money and you must follow lots of rules.

Solution
Disagree when you can register a new domain for $5 or less and roll a free nameserver.
Maybe I should have been more clear. I meant actually linking a actual dns server to ISP dns server. This allows you to set any of the DNS fields anyway you want and not be restricted by the hosting companies. It is something a large company would do but most people need just simple registration.

kanewolf

Titan
i want to make my own domain name at home bcz i don't want to pay just to use .com (mostly doing it for fun), how do i do it at home (i'm new to this stuff so i may sound stupid)
You have to pay something. I would rather pay a little bit of $$$ than the potential privacy risk that you get from most "free" things. There are low cost domains -- godaddy is registering .us domains for a dollar -- https://www.godaddy.com/tlds/us-domain

Status
Not open for further replies.