How to make recovey media on ASUS windows 8 preloaded systems

livingthedream

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I was wondering if anyone else has looked at the new windows 8 ASUS laptops and noticed that they don't seem to have any way to make a set of recovery media. All previous models allowed the user to make a set. I checked on the ASUS website and found nothing in regards to this. I tried the old F9 from boot as well as looking through the All Apps screen for a recovery program and found nothing. Has ASUS removed the recovery media option? It would be weird if they did. I can still find it on Acer/Samsung/HP/Toshiba but none on ASUS.

Solution
Finally figured out how to do this:

1) Go to start screen
2) type "drive recovery" in search screen - choose settings tab in search screen
3) click on "create a recovery drive"
4) Insert a 16GB drive and a way you go.

Diesele

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
+1 - just got a N56 laptop (and finding Win 8 very slow and longwinded to navigate) and cant seem to find any way to make a recovery disk should the hdd die either. Surely not? If this IS the case its going back and will buy a make that may not make me give MS $150 down the line. I see their little deal???

Diesele

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
+1 - just got a N56 laptop (and finding Win 8 very slow and longwinded to navigate) and cant seem to find any way to make a recovery disk should the hdd die either. Surely not? If this IS the case its going back and will buy a make that may not make me give MS $150 down the line. I see their little deal???

Diesele

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Diesele

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

livingthedream

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

1) Go to start screen
2) type "drive recovery" in search screen - choose settings tab in search screen

Solution

DarkMalfunction

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I have an asus K56CA, and my hard drive got corrupted as my partitioning program went silly buggers and BSOD'd my laptop halfway through.

I don't know if the recoery disks are specific for each brand of laptop, but if they aren't or someone has a K56C (A) recovery disk, if they could perhaps send an .iso via email, I would be extremely grateful, forver in their debt, and I would marry them.

I would just torrent a windows 8 installation disk from somewhere, and just use the repair option (if it doesnt come with a product key im not really making M$ lose any money), but I cant find a decent torrent that isnt the pro version or in spanish :/

EDIT: Found a torrent getting it downlaoded now, and I'll keep you posted. If it doesnt work, the offer about the reovery disk is still up for grabs :p

EDIT 2: Just scanning with security essentials, taking its time :/

EDIT 3: Oh crap, my laptop can't burn to DVD+R disks :/

myasusquestions

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

1) Go to start screen

QUESTION
I am doing that but it is taking 2 + hours and not done yet! Is this normal?
Finally got done in 3.5 hours.

I turned laptop off. turned back on. system came back up as normal.
How do you get it to boot off the flash drive first?

livingthedream

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Here's the steps to boot from a legacy usb device:

1) Turn on system - as soon as ASUS logo appears and windows starts loading - press the power button and shut down system.

2) Turn back on system again press F2 when ASUS logo appears to get into bios

3) In bios: go to "security" tab
3A) choose "secure boot control" and select "disable"

4) In bios: go to "Boot" tab
4A) choose "launch CSM" and select "enable"

5) Save and exit bios

6) Press F2 again to go into bios

7) In bios: go to "Save and Exit" tab
7A) Choose device from "Boot override list"

Remember to reset setting once done to get Windows to load again.

SkitzoBunny

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
My Asus VivoBook q200e had the beginnings of a hard drive failure.
After much searching I found the Asus Backtracker utility that successfully copied recovery partition info to a 16GB flash drive and allowed me to restore that Windows8 recovery partition and OS partition to a replacement HDD.
A search of Asus' web site for "Backtracker" reveals nothing, but a startpage.com search revealed this link:
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641/
There are 32 and 64bit versions, and it worked on my 500GB (old and new) drive, so hopefully it will work for you too.

Marawan Kanany

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
guys i have asus K550c N.B and even i power it on its run to the bios setup and cant solve it its happen with me month ago and some one solve it for me but its happen again i think its cuz i run win7 on it i hope i get any answer and thanks for reading

reward

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

I have a friend's Asus X551MA laptop that I have replaced the hard drive because the original failed. No backup of the Windows 8.1, 64 bit OS was made. Asus Tech Support said the product key is written to the motherboard and can only be retrieved by an Asus RMA repair center. Give me a break!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get access to Windows 8.1 then install it on this Asus X551MA laptop?

Thanks, Russ
reward407 at geeeemail dotcom

Carsten139

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
i currently have the same problem. i've completely stopped buying ASUS products, and im happily sharing my opinion (and emails between me and ASUS) on social media. this is PATHETIC for someone the size of ASUS.
they REFUSE to help me unless i pay to send my entire setup (yes, the HDD alone is not enough!) to Sweden. i have provided them with every serial number of every piece in the computer, as asked.. but STILL they want me to pay for that entire trip both ways, AND a fee for simply installing windows 8. i am inclined to sue them, since i've paid for windows 8, but they refuse to provide me with a serial key for the product. it is LITERALLY NOWHERE to be found. they told me it was supposed to register automatically and be "stored" on the motherboard. but i tried installing every single version of Win8 i could find, and EVERY TIME it asked me for a product key.

this is only one of many forums ill be posting this in. ill try to get alot of people together, and if there's opinion for it, ill start a facebook page for us to get together.. this is NOT acceptable, and personally i wouldnt mind seeing ASUS burn to the F****** ground for this......