How to make system repair disk after upgrade without installation disk

barryman

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
I was running Windows 7 Ultimate and then I downloaded the upgrade to Windows 10. I want to make a System Repair disk but when I try to make one it says something like "the files needed are not available on this system - please insert installation disk" Obviously the only installation disk I have is my Windows 7 one ! So I tried this 7 disk and managed to make some kind of a repair disk and it boots up ok. But when loaded and I check out what it's booted as it says its Windows 7.

So, question is, how do I make a Windows 10 repair disk without the installation disk ??

Also, excuse newbie type question, I already have a safety copy of my Windows 10 system image taken a couple of months ago. If I ever have trouble and have to reinstall Windows 10 will the System Image provide the entire install of Windows 10 or does it only include my system settings. Or would I have to purchase a brand new Windows 10 OS as it's too late to get the free upgrade.
Whats the best thing I can do?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanxx

Solution
Hello barryman,
I was only concerned about the updates because there are many paths and many different methods that people use to update their Windows 10 system. Your path doesn't sound bad in itself but I still think that you should create a repair disc by using the method that I outlined above. You should really revisit the directions that I outlined in post number 3 above and create an installation disc by using the media creation tool. This might take over an hour depending on your internet speed but it is a very handy tool to have laying around.

I am still concerned that your system might not be 100% accurate. Have you opened a command prompt using admin privileges and ran the command sfc /scannow ? If you have not done that then...
Hey there, Barry.

Usually you shouldn't need the OS installation disk to create a recovery drive according to the tutorial: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3a747883-b706-43a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive. However you could try creating a Windows 10 installation media USB/DVD by following this guide: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ (check this "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC"). If you make one and insert it when prompted it might do the trick.

As for the system image "System images contain all of the info on your PC at a particular state" so this would mean that you'd be able to restore your PC to the exact same state it was when the image was taken.

And last, but not least. If you have used the free Win 10 upgrade, you should be able to make a fresh install of Win 10 (e.g. in case your drive fails and you have no other recovery options). Please take a look at step 7 of the tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
If you have the free Windows 10 offer, then you can enter the Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key that you upgraded from to Windows 10.

If this PC has a digital entitlement available for this Windows 10 on Microsoft's activation servers, then you will not be prompted to enter a product key.

If this OEM PC has a valid product key embedded in its UEFI firmware chip, then you will not be prompted to enter a product key.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

barryman

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
Thank you all so much for advice. I have downloaded the Windows 10 update and have done a complete update of my W 10 OS so now I am able to create a system repair disk OK..... thanxx again.

BTW, does a System Image contain all my data files as well or is it just the OS and settings?? (It probably is!)

Why did you download a Windows 10 update? Which update? Where did you get the update from?

This does not sound good.

barryman

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
Hi - thanks for replying to my question . The reason I updated Windows 10 was because someone suggested I use the Windows Media Tool. This took me to the Microsoft site where I saw an option to update Windows 10. I thought that as I had obviously been missing some files (which was why I couldn't make a System repair disk) then by updating I'd have a fresh installation. So I updated and this seems to have done the trick as I can now make a repair disk ok. Other than tweaking a few settings and personalising them etc there do not seem to be any problems.

What do you think the problem is by having done this?? I am not in the habit normally of doing updates because I'm always suspicious of what Microsoft might put onto my PC !! I have now made a new system image as well and just hope everything is ok......

Any comments appreciated.

Hello barryman,
I was only concerned about the updates because there are many paths and many different methods that people use to update their Windows 10 system. Your path doesn't sound bad in itself but I still think that you should create a repair disc by using the method that I outlined above. You should really revisit the directions that I outlined in post number 3 above and create an installation disc by using the media creation tool. This might take over an hour depending on your internet speed but it is a very handy tool to have laying around.

I am still concerned that your system might not be 100% accurate. Have you opened a command prompt using admin privileges and ran the command sfc /scannow ? If you have not done that then I suggest that you do that and see what the results are.

Solution