News How to Make Windows 11 Look and Feel Like Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yep. it's MS getting ready to release a beta
Well, its currently in alpha. Dev ring, bleeding edge build. No wonder its missing things. Once it gets to the 2nd rings on insiders and release then it will be closer to ready.

People need to slow down. why put this on new PC... I know why but its not what they think it. Its not early access to a game, its alpha testing the thing everything else relies on to just work. Win 11 now isn't what i would put on a main PC. Already seen it wipe file system off 5 drives.

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, i meant this fall win11 will be an official beta. don't kid yourself that it's a gold release. lol, WE are the beta testers

Reactions: Colif

PVW

Sep 24, 2021
Thanks. I'm ok with most of the Windows 11 changes (the ones that aren't buggy) but the taskbar "grouping by app" is killing me. And it's a bit mindboggling that we have to hack the registry to change that...

USAFRet

Titan
I don't see EVER making the change, until I have to upgrade to hardware that by default is already compliant. Honestly, why? I don't see anything that compels me to want to.
Yeah....Unlike 8 -> 10, there is no compelling reason for 10 -> 11.

All these people woofing and tweeting about "Where can I buy a TPM chip", and what hack they can do to make an older system work with Win 11....idiots.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Turns out one can download Win 11 ISO from the Insider channel. So, did that. Installed. Was not impressed - nothing compelling to mass upgrade, and not until I can place the taskbar where I want (vertically, left or right) as I was doing from XP times.

Turns out one can download Win 11 ISO from the Insider channel. So, did that. Installed. Was not impressed - nothing compelling to mass upgrade, and not until I can place the taskbar where I want (vertically, left or right) as I was doing from XP times.
I don't see anything to disagree with here, and, it's kind of the entire point, so, agreed.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Day 3 of Windows 11, and some good progress to make it usable.
Restored normal File Explorer (Winaero Tweaker)
Restored normal Context Menu (Winaero Tweaker)
Fixed File Explorer search (Winaero Tweaker)
Restored normal Taskbar (Winaero Tweaker)
Ungrouped Taskbar icons (Registry)
OpenShell works

Win+X not working
Taskbar Search icon not working

Almost there!!!

Last edited:

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Agreed, right now if you are upgrading to the preview of Win11 you want the "new car smell" until we all upgrade in the fall this article is not needed and even made me laugh.
This is so funny. Downgrade to 11, and then apply fixes to all the GUI problems that 11 brings. Not that it fixes any of the actual new bugs that 11 will bring in heaping, smelly piles.

Microsloth has 2 motives here with Windoze 11 - new PC licensing fees, and change for the sake of change. When 10 came out, at least it got us past the horror of 8, though for the first year or two it was really shaky. 11 fixes something that in terms of GUI is not particularly broken - and badly breaks it in the name of 'improvement'. It takes the non encrypted TPM that does nothing for security and forces us to have it while leaving lots of real security holes. And the ugliest GUI I've seen in a very long time, if ever!

USAFRet

Titan
Microsloth has 2 motives here with Windoze 11 - new PC licensing fees,....
How does Win 11 trigger "new PC licensing fees"?

A current and compatible Win 10 can upgrade to WIN 11 for free.
Standing up or buying a new system would need a new license anyway. 10 or 11.

And people aren't going to buy a whole new system just to have Win 11.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I replaced the Start menu to Win 10 and moved the taskbar to the side like I used to have it. Funny thing is that I disliked it, or should I say that I got used to the Win11 taskbar and start menu during my time with the Dev Preview program. I changed it back to the Win 11 defaults.

USAFRet

Titan
I replaced the Start menu to Win 10 and moved the taskbar to the side like I used to have it. Funny thing is that I disliked it, or should I say that I got used to the Win11 taskbar and start menu during my time with the Dev Preview program. I changed it back to the Win 11 defaults.
Moving the taskbar anchored to the left is a native selection in Win 11. Looks just like Win 10.
No extra software or hacks needed.

great Unknown

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
There are a few reasons why one might want to follow some or all of the steps in the article. First, you might want to stay in the insider track to test out other new features that aren't part of the UI such as the upcoming Android feature or the new Microsoft Store or DirectStorage. So, even if these features aren't present right now, you won't get them unless you are an insider so perhaps you're rolling with the changes to see how Windows 11 evolves. Second, if you were already in the Insider program and your PC got upgraded to Windows 11 and you then decided "I really wish I had my old File Explorer or Start Menu or taskbar," after 10 days you can't roll back without doing a clean install so maybe you just want to make the best of Windows 11. Third , maybe you like some but not all of the new UI. Maybe you love the new snap and virtual desktop features, but hate the Start menu for example. Fourth, maybe you just like to hack things and see what's possible.
Saw a rumor that the Android feature will be added to Windows 10 also. And if it runs in a VM - and therefore cannot access Bluetooth - then it adds no value to programs like BlueStacks.

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks Avram for your detailed article. When I searched the web I wanted to know what kind of changes in the Windows UI would be brought about by moving to Windows 11, as part of a decision whether to go to it or not. The article also gives ways of changing unwanted features if I do decide to go. I'm busy and not as much of a geek as some of the folks who replied, so it was useful not to have to spend the time to learn all of this on my own. I use my computers for productivity and I don't want to have Microsoft put obstacles in the way of productivity by trying to change my computers into cell phones.

Jan 16, 2022
If you apply step 5 you will your windows start button will no longer work. Your search will no longer work. It basically bricks the whole damn thing.
After applying step 5 you need to reset UndockingDisabled back to 0 and restart, if you're lucky on the current update it will give you back the normal taskbar or well it will kill it.. guess it depends on the update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you apply step 5 you will your windows start button will no longer work. Your search will no longer work. It basically bricks the whole damn thing.
After applying step 5 you need to reset UndockingDisabled back to 0 and restart, if you're lucky on the current update it will give you back the normal taskbar or well it will kill it.. guess it depends on the update.
Not surprise MS "fix" this method as I expect they don't want people using the old taskbar, progress and all.

I will pass advice on to admin since I can't change articles. I don't have access.

Status
Not open for further replies.