[SOLVED] How to monitor and troubleshoot BSOD?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
How do I get info on exactly what was going on in my PC the very moment before BSOD? (I.e. CPU temp, Core Temp, CPU Volts, RAM, GPU & CPU usage and which file was the cause of the BSOD?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
My guess is either a faulty RAM or a overheating CPU (my GPU has NEVER-EVER reached even 80C). You can know the details about the problems I faced in this thread:

[Note: Even though it's marked as solved, it's actually not. I marked it as solved cause there were nowhere to go from there]

If the problems we are facing are similar, we could help each other.
First thing would be to find out just what BSODs are. WhoCrashed https://www.resplendence.com/downloads is a program to help you find them. Once you find exact BSOD you can Google it and can find possible causes and fixes.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Ziadul87 - Were you able to sort out your issue? I'm having a similar issue, which I thought was GPU overheating, but now I realize could be something else. So looking for troubleshooting tips.
My guess is either a faulty RAM or a overheating CPU (my GPU has NEVER-EVER reached even 80C). You can know the details about the problems I faced in this thread:

[Note: Even though it's marked as solved, it's actually not. I marked it as solved cause there were nowhere to go from there]

First thing would be to find out just what BSODs are. WhoCrashed https://www.resplendence.com/downloads is a program to help you find them. Once you find exact BSOD you can Google it and can find possible causes and fixes.

Reactions: Ziadul87
Solution

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
who crashed reports:

On Sun 7/12/2020 2:32:32 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071220-31625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hardware.sys (hardware)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFF930121339010, 0x400000000000, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A corrupted PTE has been detected.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hardware.sys .
Google query: hardware.sys MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

On Tue 7/7/2020 1:26:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070720-36140-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC810)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFE40486CCC240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 7/6/2020 11:54:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070620-34687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFE03FFFF4E510, 0x400000000000, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A corrupted PTE has been detected.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hardware.sys .

On Mon 7/6/2020 4:47:06 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070620-41359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x61941, 0x1B2EA790, 0xD, 0xFFFFA108A0572A00)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071020-30375-01.dmp

who crashed reports:

On Sun 7/12/2020 2:32:32 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071220-31625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFF930121339010, 0x400000000000, 0x0)

On Tue 7/7/2020 1:26:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070720-36140-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFE40486CCC240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

On Mon 7/6/2020 11:54:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070620-34687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFE03FFFF4E510, 0x400000000000, 0x0)

On Mon 7/6/2020 4:47:06 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070620-41359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x61941, 0x1B2EA790, 0xD, 0xFFFFA108A0572A00)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071020-30375-01.dmp
Is that newly built or already used system/PC ? As all errors point to memory, first thing I would do is to check RAM

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Is that newly built or already used system/PC ? As all errors point to memory, first thing I would do is to check RAM
Thank you for identifying. It's a PC i have been using for ~4 years.
I have done memtest and got 5 errors on the first test. (But I never again got any errors). But i went ahead and asked the shop to get my RAM for RMA. Sad thing is, they don't believe in memtest and told me to "recreate" a blue screen in front of them (which is a matter of sheer luck). I failed to create a blue screen and so I couldn't get an RMA. 😕

Another thing, Aida64, Who Crashed also reported overheating issue with my CPU. (It reaches 100°C on FC3)

Thank you for identifying. It's a PC i have been using for ~4 years.
I have done memtest and got 5 errors on the first test. (But I never again got any errors). But i went ahead and asked the shop to get my RAM for RMA. Sad thing is, they don't believe in memtest and told me to "recreate" a blue screen in front of them (which is a matter of sheer luck). I failed to create a blue screen and so I couldn't get an RMA. 😕

Another thing, Aida64, Who Crashed also reported overheating issue with my CPU. (It reaches 100°C on FC3)
Couple of things to try with RAM. Take it/them out and put them back in and also make sure that they are in right slots. Also check Virtual memory in windows as well as OS disk, Windows uses disk as virtual memory so if anything is wrong with it, it will report it as problem with RAM.
Memory controller is in the CPU so if it's really overheating it may present a problem.
My favorite program for temps and other is HWinfo64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Couple of things to try with RAM. Take it/them out and put them back in and also make sure that they are in right slots. Also check Virtual memory in windows as well as OS disk, Windows uses disk as virtual memory so if anything is wrong with it, it will report it as problem with RAM.
Memory controller is in the CPU so if it's really overheating it may present a problem.
My favorite program for temps and other is HWinfo64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
I have tried all of these and the summary is:

1. My mobo has 2 slots for RAM and I use only 1 stick. Tried both slot A and B but didn't help.
  2. I just cant narrow it down to either the RAM or the CPU. (Sadly I can't get my friend's DDR4 due to covid19-lockdown)
  3. Aida64 = Hardware Failure Detected (Thermal Throttling)
  4. Prime95: rounding was (a random number varying each time), expected less than 4.0 (CPU temp shows 100C on MSI Afterburner)
  5. Memtest showed error but just once and their website claims that it could be due to both CPU overheating and faulty RAM
  6. FarCry 3 reaches 100C easily even though FarCry Primal hovers around 70-80C. (Weird?)
  7. Blue Screen is more frequent in newer games like FarCry5, AC Odyssey
  8. Tried to change thermal paste but no seller in my region sells thermal paste
  9. Exporting video from Adobe Premier Pro sometimes crash and even led to BSOD ones(So, I guess faulty GPU driver isn't an issue)

Last edited:

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Try each stick individually, if one stick is bad it may bluescreen much more often allowing you to recreate the error for the shop. Having said that can you RMA the ram direct to the manufacturer? Often ram has a lifetime warranty
How would I do that from a country like Bangladesh? What would be the steps?
And also, would they charge me for shipping if the RAM came out to be in perfect condition?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
So I got another BSOD while playing FarCry Primal. And this looks like a totally software fault. This is complicating things even more as I can't blame my Ram anymore :( At least not in this case

On Thu 7/16/2020 12:57:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071620-31453-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0x155801636331, 0x115801636331, 0xFFFFEEA7FE9C9CCE, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.