How to move all files from hdd to new ssd and use the hdd for extra storage

luukhayday

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi,

I've just bought a new ssd and I want to transfer all my files from my hdd to my new ssd. How do i transfer the files to the ssd and keep the hdd for storage. I have a desktop with the hdd installed and i can just slide a ssd into a free slot. Can I just slide the ssd in and than migrate the hdd files to the ssd. Or should I do anything else. Should I than configure the hdd, or is it after the migration empty and properly installed? Tnx for the possible help!

Solution

What OS is this?
If you can verify the total used space on the current drive is below 200GB, and the current OS is fully working well, a migration operation might be in order.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select...

luukhayday

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

The hdd is a 1tb one and the ssd a 250gig one. All my files are about 200 gigabytes

morgancomputers

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Honestly the best solution is to do a fresh installation of Windows onto the SSD!
There are cloning packages out there but most have various flaws especially when trying to clone a much larger drive to a smaller one.

I would use the Windows 10 Installation tool to create an install USB drive here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Then install the SSD in place of the current HDD (use a 2.5" to 3.5" caddy if needed in a PC) and conduct a fresh install to the SSD using the USB boot drive.

After that's done you can pop the old HDD in on another SATA channel and windows should detect it as a secondary drive allowing you to back up important files to a USB temporarily, format the old HDD then copy the backed up data back and carry on using as a backup drive.

Hope that helps PM if you need any more specifics.

USAFRet

Titan

What OS is this?
If you can verify the total used space on the current drive is below 200GB, and the current OS is fully working well, a migration operation might be in order.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution