How to move my OS from the original HDD to an SSD so that it runs independently without any files or programs.

JayK47

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I heard that doing this greatly improves your computer security and also boosts your computers speed. Supposedly you can unplug the HDD, Install the OS straight from the Installation CD to your SSD, plug the HDD back in and erase the OS from it. But I'm leary of every method I've heard of especially the ones involving freeware. So here I am trying to clarify this process, again all I need on the SSD is my OS leaving my programs and files on the pre existing HDD.

JayK47

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
1. yes
2. Why would I need to reinstall my applications if I wont be deleting them.
3. 120 GB big enough for the OS alone thats all I need it for.

USAFRet

Titan

2. With a new OS install, applications need to be reinstalled as well.
When an application is installed, it makes many, many entries in the Registry and elsewhere. The new OS knows nothing about them.

3. Yes, a 120GB SSD is fine. That is what I have for the OS and ALL applications.

JayK47

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

But I have nearly 500 GB of Data on my HDD??

USAFRet

Titan

OK...500GB
There are many cloning applications that will move everything from one drive to another.
But you cannot do that, because you have far too much stuff on the HDD.

Your best way forward is a new install of te OS and applications on the SSD.
Easier and far less chance of fail.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Another reason why you have to re-install is the apps were installed on the C drive and now will be D or E or another letter. I've cloned Windows 7 twice and Windows 8 once. I bought an Acer 8950G in 2011 and it had 2 drive bays and came with a 750 GB HD. I installed some apps and then cloned the drive using Acronis True Image and a external USB case. I popped the SSD in and it booted real fast. I moved the HD to the 2nd bay and all was fine. Next increases the SSD size so I cloned the 140 GB SSD to a 250 GB SSD and again no problems. I recently purchased an ALienware 18 and it came with a 256 GB MSATA SSD. I saw a deal at newegg for a 1tb MSATA SSD so I wanted to clone it. I bought a MSATA enclosure from Tiger Direct and clones it and it booted right up.