Question How to move recycle files from one disk to another?

Mar 28, 2023
Hi,

That is the concern. How can I move files from recycle bin from one disk (SSD, 1TB) to another disk (HDD, 1TB). The SSD has corrupted Windows boot. I've tried modifying the hidden files to access $Recycle.bin from the HDD and it says I don't have authorization when I try to access any of its folders. What I can do?

It remains for me to thank you in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

That is the concern. How can I move files from recycle bin from one disk (SSD, 1TB) to another disk (HDD, 1TB). The SSD has corrupted Windows boot. I've tried modifying the hidden files to access $Recycle.bin from the HDD and it says I don't have authorization when I try to access any of its folders. What I can do?

It remains for me to thank you in advance.
You can't do that.
Each drive has its own "Recycle Bin".

Basically, it is just a pointer to files that you have designated to be liable for deletion.

Recycle Bin is not meant to be for storage like some use it for. it doesn't contain any files in any specific folder just a list of files with "deleted" flag and their location. Recycle Bin's role is to keep them from being overwritten and when they are purged from it adds another flag and only then they can overwritten. Files are still there even when "deleted" and if not overwritten still available for salvage by special SW. Only when erased all the nits are changed or zeroed.
If you enable display of Hidden System file you can see "$Recycle.Bin" on each partition with a letter.

Be aware that inside the recycled folder, there is another folder (Windows normally doesn't present this to users) which have a name scheme that ties it to one specific computer/user. You'll see this where you have a portable hdd being moved between windows computers - if you can see the folder structure without filter, you should observe more than one sub folder with an arbitrary-looking name.

Because of this, I doubt it is feasible to do an actually share of the recycle bin between computers just like that.

The "Recycle Bin" is a Windows thing.
Well, for most other OS with graphical UI, deleting files by it's native file manager will in most cases behave in a similar manner.