[SOLVED] How to move windows 10 system files from HDD to SSD after it has been formatted?

Jul 6, 2020
Hi, can some one point me in the right direction of being able to resolve this issue please?

I originally had windows 10 installed on my HDD, I then did a fresh install onto my m.2 SSD.

Got it up and running and formatted the HDD (I thought this would remove all files etc)

So now, I have windows 10 installed and working on my new C drive (m.2 ssd) But it seems that all the system files/boot/efi etc are still on the D drive (HDD.)

When I power up the PC I am prompted with a blue screen to choose a drive to boot from, and ive noticed if I remove the HDD completely, the PC wont boot at all.

How can I transfer all data/files from my HDD to the SSD, so that the PC will always boot up and start from the SSD?

Thanks

Matt

Solution
You're advised to first move data away from the HDD(by backing up) then format the HDD while in the OS installation screen where you're only left with both drives(HDD+SSD) being blank. Power down and disconnect the HDD) then power up with the bootable installer to install the OS onto the SSD. Once you have all drivers installed, power down the device and then reconnect the HDD, then power back up to assign the HDD it's resources or data.

Sadly, moving anything now will only result in more hair tugging or a bald head. Might want to start from scratch but make sure data is backed up.

Make sure your installer for Windows 10 is made with Windows Media Creation Tools. As a plus, make sure your platform's BIOS(motherboard on PC or laptop)...

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to first move data away from the HDD(by backing up) then format the HDD while in the OS installation screen where you're only left with both drives(HDD+SSD) being blank. Power down and disconnect the HDD) then power up with the bootable installer to install the OS onto the SSD. Once you have all drivers installed, power down the device and then reconnect the HDD, then power back up to assign the HDD it's resources or data.

Sadly, moving anything now will only result in more hair tugging or a bald head. Might want to start from scratch but make sure data is backed up.

Make sure your installer for Windows 10 is made with Windows Media Creation Tools. As a plus, make sure your platform's BIOS(motherboard on PC or laptop) is up to date.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, can some one point me in the right direction of being able to resolve this issue please?

I originally had windows 10 installed on my HDD, I then did a fresh install onto my m.2 SSD.

Got it up and running and formatted the HDD (I thought this would remove all files etc)

So now, I have windows 10 installed and working on my new C drive (m.2 ssd) But it seems that all the system files/boot/efi etc are still on the D drive (HDD.)

When I power up the PC I am prompted with a blue screen to choose a drive to boot from, and ive noticed if I remove the HDD completely, the PC wont boot at all.

How can I transfer all data/files from my HDD to the SSD, so that the PC will always boot up and start from the SSD?

Thanks

Matt
If you did a fresh install on the SSD, you should have had ONLY the SSD connected. That would have prevented this issue.

If this is a fresh install, just redo it, per the above link.