[SOLVED] how to obtain and exploit higher ddr5 frequencies from an alder lake CPU.

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
hello, I saw a video on the specifications of the Raptor lake and it is stated that they will support a max of 5600MHZ on ddr5 against the 5200 supported by the alder lake,

now I wonder, in the face of the maintenance of the same CPU socket and the minimum performance improvement of the 13th gen (keeping the production process the same and the p-cores the same as those of the 12th gen) isn't there something that can be done via software from the bios on a gen to make ddr5 work (maybe even in the future) at frequencies higher than 5200?

(Obviously I know that some people already do this they carry ddr5 at much higher frequencies, but I don't think they do it with full knowledge of the facts). So obviously besides the RAM ov, to remove the CPU limit of max supported frequency (5200MHZ in the case of alder lakes)

I don't know if it would make sense to overclock in this regard, if on the e-cores (which perhaps limit the latency of the data exchange with RAM) p-core, or the memory controller on the CPU.

Or maybe touch some other CPU-related setting that isn't overclocked. If you have any options based not on my assumptions that I have mentioned but on the technical side I would be very happy to hear from you.

[Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph of text.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
There's a big difference between officially supported and reality. Officially supported means that's as far as they tested at the time, worked as was without tweeking, and is inline with the memory controller functionality.

Reality is XMP which afaik is currently GSkill DDR5 8888 at 88-88-88-88.

DDR3 with Intel was 1333MHz /1600MHz officially supported for years on all their cpus, yet commonplace was to run 1866MHz - 2400MHz. Just required XMP enabled.

Nobody today runs officially supported ram speeds excepting those forced to by board or bios.
to remove the CPU limit of max supported frequency
Not gonna happen. The only ppl who can change that are Intel as it's hard-coded to the cpu. Changing user accessible bios settings...

Ralston18

Titan
Unless there is some specific problem involved with the CPU just leave frequencies etc. alone.

Unlikely that there will be any real performance gained and, if so, likely that the expense of other components.

In other words: probably does not "make sense".

Just my thoughts on the matter.

hello, I saw a video on the specifications of the Raptor lake and it is stated that they will support a max of 5600MHZ on ddr5 against the 5200 supported by the alder lake,

now I wonder, in the face of the maintenance of the same CPU socket and the minimum performance improvement of the 13th gen (keeping the production process the same and the p-cores the same as those of the 12th gen) isn't there something that can be done via software from the bios on a gen to make ddr5 work (maybe even in the future) at frequencies higher than 5200?

(Obviously I know that some people already do this they carry ddr5 at much higher frequencies, but I don't think they do it with full knowledge of the facts). So obviously besides the RAM ov, to remove the CPU limit of max supported frequency (5200MHZ in the case of alder lakes)

I don't know if it would make sense to overclock in this regard, if on the e-cores (which perhaps limit the latency of the data exchange with RAM) p-core, or the memory controller on the CPU.

Or maybe touch some other CPU-related setting that isn't overclocked. If you have any options based not on my assumptions that I have mentioned but on the technical side I would be very happy to hear from you.

[Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph of text.]

Watch this guys videos, he has several on DDR5:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoVhGbgWcc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhrQfXUYyw&list=RDCMUCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ&start_radio=1

Reactions: Grealish01
the timings/latencies /CAS settings are just as important as clock speed numbers...(often, 4800 MHz at tighter timings beats 5200 MHz in all benchmarks with too-loose/relaxed timings...; although, some folks just look at pure numbers, assuming DDR5/4200 must be better than DDR4/3600, actual results be damned. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a big difference between officially supported and reality. Officially supported means that's as far as they tested at the time, worked as was without tweeking, and is inline with the memory controller functionality.

Reality is XMP which afaik is currently GSkill DDR5 8888 at 88-88-88-88.

DDR3 with Intel was 1333MHz /1600MHz officially supported for years on all their cpus, yet commonplace was to run 1866MHz - 2400MHz. Just required XMP enabled.

Nobody today runs officially supported ram speeds excepting those forced to by board or bios.
to remove the CPU limit of max supported frequency
Not gonna happen. The only ppl who can change that are Intel as it's hard-coded to the cpu. Changing user accessible bios settings is one thing, changing Intel firmware is an entirely different ballgame and Intel has that severely locked down after such things as Spectre and Meltdown exploited vulnerabilities in the Intel Management Engine.

Solution