[SOLVED] How to oc i7 8700k with gigabyte z370p d3

Solution
Ugh, fricking windows.
At this point, you can just ignore what task manager shows for your clock speeds.
It could be a bug with the latest version you're using.
I use HWINFO, Msi Afterburner, and Intel XTU, and I'd trust those readings over wonky windows.
Jul 11, 2019
What do you mean by nothing happens? Does it crash, BSOD, insta-shut off, etc., after entering the settings in the bios?
Also, how exactly are you getting 24GBs of ram?
I have 3x8gb ram. Everything works normal except when I load windows task manager says it’s still at 3.7ghz. I’ve tried oc to 4.0 4.2 4.8 ghz but every time after I oc still the same 3.7ghz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Take the extra stick out. You've been running your motherboard in single channel mode since you put it in = reduced performance.
If you want more ram, get a 2x 16GB kit. Adding more past 2 does more harm than good.

You disabled C-states in the bios, but have you enabled windows power plan for high performance?

Jul 11, 2019
My powerplan is on high performance, but noramally in the advanced settings you can change the cpu power to 100% minimum and maximum but I don't have that option for some reason. Im guessing high performance already has that enabled. Im going to take the extra stick out.

Jul 11, 2019
Also, what’s odd is that in my mobo on the right it displays my cpu and ram speed and my cpu says frequency 4801mhz so I think it’s overclocked but in windows it says 3.7ghz idk if task manager is bugged or just not displaying the correct outcome

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Install HWINFO and check the clock speed with that app. If it still shows the base clock, then try the following, and check again.

Go to control panel > Hardware & Sound > Power Options
Click on Change plans settings next to the High performance option, then click change advanced power settings, go to processor power management and set minimum processor state to 100%

Jul 11, 2019
I downloaded it and my cpu status says 4800mhz So I guess its overclocked but when I go into power options on the high performance I click advanced options and inside power management i only see system cooling policy. I don't see minimum power state. but Im guessing that's ok if HWINFO is saying my cpu is 4800mhz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ugh, fricking windows.
At this point, you can just ignore what task manager shows for your clock speeds.
It could be a bug with the latest version you're using.
I use HWINFO, Msi Afterburner, and Intel XTU, and I'd trust those readings over wonky windows.

Solution