How to Opt Out of Google's Wi-Fi Network Mapping

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I kept reading the stupid comments. you guys don't get it. they ARE NOT MAPPING YOUR SSID AND TELLING PEOPLE WHERE TO FIND IT. They are not telling people "hey there's wifi over here". Google maps samples the SSIDs in ranges and signal strength to find its location if GPS is off. no one sees your SSID from Google. Google doesn't know who the SSID belongs to. they usually don't even have an exact address. anyone in range with a smart phone or laptop can see your SSID and get actual information already. it in no way helps criminals nor could it. you are broadcasting a public signal. people can see it. deal with it

sirius100

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
What is up with everybody getting so worked up about this? I thought this was a tech site and people were more informed, but as I can see from the comments screaming curses and rants about people finding where they live and stealing their internet, it seems it is not so.

As unksol said, Google (and a few other companies for that matter) collect SSID data for triangulating your location when GPS is unavailable (along with CDMA/GSM cell tower triangulation). Have you ever wondered how an iPod touch or other non-GPS enabled devices can geotag photos? There are already several databases with this info out there, so I really don't understand what the sudden outrage is about. It's a really helpful piece of tech, specially indoors where you can't get a GPS lock.

In this day and age, if you're so outraged about a thing like this, you better go live in a cave or turn amish, cause I hate to break it to you but all of your SSIDs have been scanned and mapped several times by people other than Google. And, IF this information was valuable to someone (it isn't), then any given idiot could go around scanning SSIDs, ignoring _nomap tags and just sell it, and you wouldn't even know it happened. If you're so outraged about this, then maybe you should go search how to hide your SSID (it won't affect any of your connected devices).

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath and actually think about this for a second.

If you live in the US you are using public airspace for your wireless network. If you are not taking any steps to secure your network you would no more be able to complain than if you left your personal property sitting on a bench in public park and were shocked to find out it was not there when you returned.

What you put on public airwaves is public property unless you take some reasonable measure to secure it. Period.

I don't think obscuring your SSID to some degree is an unreasonable requirement.

icecreambarr

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
What a BRILLIANT idea to have a very detailed map of the USA that includes all potentially computer adept people. With this 1 trick, they will know each and every house that has a capable computer person.

fomoz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Good idea, but if a user has the SSID "linksys," what makes Google think the user has the know-how to be able to change it to "linksys_nomap"?IMO, a better option would be to allow users to opt-in. "linksys_mapme" or something.[/citation]
Yeah, but then nobody's gonna opt-in.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Simple: Why the FUK should *I* or ANYONE have to rename their SSID networks to SUIT a company's needs?![citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Simple: Why the FUK should *I* or ANYONE have to rename their SSID networks to SUIT a company's needs?!That *IS* kind of like you must OPT out of some jerk walking through your front door or taking your cell phone out of your hands to make a call.Oh great, my computer scans a bunch of networks and then I have to see "_noscan" on everything?Wait, did GOOGLE give notice to every single person in the USA or world that they were going to have to "opt" out of anything?! Yes, Google would have to legally mail and make reasonable contact with every single person with instructions on HOW to OPT-OUT from something that GOOGLE doesn't fracking need or anyone else.Seriously, Google is about to get the crap sued out of them. And what MORON at Google came up with this idea and thought "yeah, everyone will love it!"? he should be thrown down an elevator shaft.There are reasons things work in the world in certain ways. Do we HAVE to OPT out of Facebook? No, we don't. When a store asks for your phone number or ZIP code (I'm buying a $10 shirt!), they ask... its your choice to provide them that info. Or say NO and the ring you up and your off on your merry way.Google... did you hire an idiot from HP or something?[/citation]

Yup, everyone should have to alter their SSID, just like everyone needs to enable WPA if they want their wireless device secure. Last I checked any broadcast signal is legally considered public, anything you pump into the air waves is free for anyone else to grab and look at. That is why security like WPA and other encryption techniques are available for your equipment. So Google is protected by federal law to capture that information, what they are not allowed to do is collect personal information ex Name, Address, phone, etc and from what they said they have stopped doing anything related to that. There are laws that protect your right to that information. But if they are storing your SSID and geographic location, etc. Nothing in the lawbooks says they can't do that because it is not linking anything to you personally. No one can say hey, thats Bob. And if you set your SSID to your name, you are choosing to broadcast your name in an unencrypted format, that is like standing in your yard and yelling to anyone who passes by.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Most ADSL modems in my country have locked WiFi SSID name. Since most people are idiots, the ADSL modems are preprogrammed with SSID + password. You have no access to the password or the router. Somehow Google thinks they have the right to map everything in our life.
Every single time you make a google search, they store it, forever. There is no opt out for this. Many idiots also use Google DNS = they know where you have been, stored forever. Add to that mail, youtube, google+ and all other stuff they have stored about you forever.

And all poor Android owners. Your "free" Android OS is payed by Google getting access to you location, phone number, gender and so on. When iOS had a bug that did not clear the base station cache on the phone, the media wrote about location gate. (the truth was that it was almost impossible for a hacker to access the data since they needed you computer + phone + that nothing was encrypted or had password). Google does the same: no one writes about it.

Is it dangerous? Maybe not. But Googles attitude is this: "you should not visit websites that you don't want us to know about". That is the OFFICIAL line from them.

This is the company people love. "don't be evil"

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]OK. I kept reading the stupid comments. you guys don't get it. they ARE NOT MAPPING YOUR SSID AND TELLING PEOPLE WHERE TO FIND IT. They are not telling people "hey there's wifi over here". Google maps samples the SSIDs in ranges and signal strength to find its location if GPS is off. no one sees your SSID from Google. Google doesn't know who the SSID belongs to. they usually don't even have an exact address. anyone in range with a smart phone or laptop can see your SSID and get actual information already. it in no way helps criminals nor could it. you are broadcasting a public signal. people can see it. deal with it[/citation]

You know that Google sniffed open networks and stored the data?
Googles offices around the world have been raided for this illegal activity.

How naive are you? Google have a track record there they have stored terabyte of private WiFi data and refuses to delete it. Now you believe their story that they don't map SSIDs?

I bet you use Google DNS, Google Mail and Android. Larry Page can read every mail you have. I know. I worked at one of the largest companies in the world. I could read every single users mail. I had scripts that went thru all users mail to find movies/pictures. If I wanted the latest game/movie I could look in the proxy server cache. With 100K employes there were always someone that had downloaded their stuff.

If I, as a nobody can do stuff like that. How about the worlds largest search company was sole reason is to know everything about you to target you with commercials.

The sad thing is that Google cooperates with law enforcement around the world and gives out your data.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]The sad thing is that Google cooperates with law enforcement around the world and gives out your data.[/citation]

The sad thing is that you think it is Google's fault. They don't have choice here. Neither the Microsoft, Verizon, Comcast, AT&T and every company in the world. The only difference is that Google at least takes the time to notify you when government seeks you data. There is one exception. They will not notify you if they receive National Security Letter from FBI. In this case the letter is accompanied with gag order. And let me tell you FBI is more then happy to abuse this power and they do it on the regular basis.

So if you want your data to be protected make sure you encrypt it before it leaves your PC and join activists like EFF to fight for your rights. If you don't, you deserve to lose your rights and don't complain about it.

G

The thing people need to understand is your lucky they're giving you the option to opt out.. Everyone else still has full access to it

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Since when Do I have to "opt out" from having my privacy invaded.
Up to recently I have seen GOOGLE as one of the good guys. But size corrupts and
it seems that slowly bot surely GOOGLE may turn into just another powerful abusive corporation.
It would be a shame; they have done so much good for the Internet; come on GOOGLE, don't fudge with your own legacy !

G

If your a user of Google Maps on an Android/iOS device you'll be glad they've mapped out WiFi connections. It really helps accuracy and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.