Question How to optimize a 7800XT to achieve better FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
Hi Everyone

I've just built a new PC
I'm running a 144hz monitor at 1440P.

Running Apex on ultra with everything at the highest,
Getting an average of around 110 FPS, but it still looks very smooth
It does peak at 250-300 FPS in the menu screen, but stays at around 110 FPS during the actual game.

I notice that on reputable review websites they note that they get an average of 240 FPS on Ultra on the same game.

I acknowledge my choice of processer will be a small factor ( I'm running a 13500 vs the 13900Ks and 7800X3Ds these reviews were done with).

I expect the rest of the gap will just be lack of optimization.
I haven't turned on anything in the Adrenaline software (like Super Resolution, etc) and wonder which of the options you guys might recommend that might improve my experience or FPS?

Cheers

Last edited:

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
Does the video card perform as expected in other applications?
Other examples are Warhammer at 110FPS, WoW at 70FPS, once again all on Ultra. CPU is being pushed to the max and utilization is at around 50-60%. GPU seems to be at 100% utilization hitting the expected out of the box MHZ OC caps.

USAFRet

Titan
Because I looked at reputable reviews, such as hardware unboxed, and did a direct comparison between the CPU I have, and then the CPU being used in the reviews. It's not an assumption, its just basic math.
And from your initial post, a different CPU.

Literally...the CPU processes the frames. It serves them up to the GPU for rendering.

Also, we have no idea of the rest of your system, and how it compares to all the review systems.

RAM, what else is running, etc, etc, etc.

Reactions: Order 66

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
And from your initial post, a different CPU.

Literally...the CPU processes the frames. It serves them up to the GPU for rendering.

Also, we have no idea of the rest of your system, and how it compares to all the review systems.

RAM, what else is running, etc, etc, etc.
Lets give you basic example.

At 1440P 7700X 20% faster on average than the 13500 in gaming according to hardware unboxed (using like for like ram).

On one review system the 7700X was comming up with 240FPS (using 5200 CL36)
My 13500 was comming up with 110FPS (using 6000 CL36)
Both on Ultra.

Whilst there may be other variables at play, the main suspects have been identified.
We know the processor type
We know the ram speed
We know the GPU
We know game settings

(These are not the only charts I looked at, it's just one example).

So being armed with this information I am trying to discover why my PC might not be performing as expected.

The tone of your last message is more going down the line of just trying to prove a point, which isn't overly helpful.

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
The thing with chasing the performance seen in reviews....start by configuring your system exactly as theirs is.

My question was:
I haven't turned on anything in the Adrenaline software (like Super Resolution, etc) and wonder which of the options you guys might recommend that might improve my experience or FPS?

I am not chasing the exact performance seen in reviews, I am trying to optimize my PC, and I am giving reasoning as to why I think my PC might not be performing to its full potential.

Acknowledge you might be a bit bored and looking to create some friction, but I am just looking for helpful feedback from the community.

USAFRet

Titan
My question was:

I am not chasing the exact performance seen in reviews, I am trying to optimize my PC, and I am giving reasoning as to why I think my PC might not be performing to its full potential.

Acknowledge you might be a bit bored and looking to create some friction, but I am just looking for helpful feedback from the community.
And I've given my opinions.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Good luck...;)

If by "full potential" you mean you want your CPU and GPU at 100% or as close as possible, well, you're going to have to lower the graphics quality until you strike the point where the CPU is chugging out render commands to the GPU and the GPU is crunching on those frames.

Anything else tends to only accumulate into a drop here and a dollop there.

Or...

You could have a reasonable performance requirement with specific settings (e.g., 60 FPS, 1080p, medium presets) and be happy as long as you're meeting or exceeding that.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Run on high instead of ultra and play around with quality settings... it's free. Keep track of your fps with each setting change and rate the visual quality Worse, better, same.

That should allow you to pick the settings you want for your preferred performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My question was:

It is of consideration that YT creators and reviewers are paying the bills with the statements they make about equipment. They may make blanket statements about "highest" settings and so forth at (whatever) resolution, and we got this result. Most of the time they don't mention what other helpers they may or may not have had in place, scaling, is this or that really considered "highest" and so on. Not only are they making money on views telling people what they want to hear about the equipment they are considering spending on, but also may well be accepting money or product directly from the exact vendor they are reviewing.

Would you fully trust a car salesman?

Also, just as a tip. Making snide comments to well respected long time members who are trying to help you realize certain realities about your projected performance based off those trustworthy reviews is probably not going to help you stay around long. It isn't meant to create friction, but give a taste of the reality in playing the review game with paid content creators. ALL of them.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

I've just built a new PC
I'm running a 144hz monitor at 1440P.

Running Apex on ultra with everything at the highest,
Getting an average of around 110 FPS, but it still looks very smooth
It does peak at 250-300 FPS in the menu screen, but stays at around 110 FPS during the actual game.
Yeah, that's because 110FPS is really smooth. :LOL:
I notice that on reputable review websites they note that they get an average of 240 FPS on Ultra on the same game.
Can you provide a link to one of those reviews? I'd like to see how they've set up their PC.
I acknowledge my choice of processer will be a small factor ( I'm running a 13500 vs the 13900Ks and 7800X3Ds these reviews were done with).
It shouldn't be that big of a factor.
I expect the rest of the gap will just be lack of optimization.

Cheers
Look at their testing methodology and make your system's settings match theirs. That's all I can think of.

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Also, just as a tip. Making snide comments to well respected long time members who are trying to help you realize certain realities about your projected performance based off those trustworthy reviews is probably not going to help you stay around long. It isn't meant to create friction, but give a taste of the reality in playing the review game with paid content creators. ALL of them.
If you want to receive help on this forum, you need to take this person's advice, be respectful, and not make it sound like you know more than the people who are trying to help because if you know more than the people trying to help you, you wouldn't need their help in the first place, would you?

Last edited:
Reactions: ex_bubblehead
Can you provide a link to one of those reviews? I'd like to see how they've set up their PC.
I think everyone who posted in this thread all got up on the right side of the bed. Actually great advice.

Sometimes we need to read reply's given back and take a minute to absorb the advice given. If it looks like a WTF answer just give It a minute. Before thinking your being craped on try to understand why post reply was given.

Honestly your game is working great and yes maybe there are tips and trick to higher FPS but we do need to look at what you are referencing your system to, link the youtube videos please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS