How To: Optimizing Your Graphics Card's Cooling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Simply take a loook at the specs for a minium of 0.2 Nm or lower.
As maximum you don't need more then 1 Nm. That's all :)
And take care to buy good (mini) bits (the best is good enough).

BroDragon

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Still don't know which brands to look at and whether I have to spend over $150, that's an awful lot if I'm only going to use it a few times.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
A good tool costs approx. 40-45 Euro in Germany, VAT included. But I know that's crazy to buy something special in US. Try Amazon.com, I saw a lot of tools below 100 USD, some for 49 USD. But the units are killing me, nobody other around the world is using in-lb. ;)

BroDragon

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Sad to say the closest I'm finding is US$100 on Newegg and that's a lot for something that I might only use once or twice a year. Anyone who can find a better deal please let me know.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6S43187340&cm_re=torque_limiting_screwdriver-_-9SIA6S43187340-_-Product

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Horrible prices in US :(

I don't want to imagine how this prices will look after the coming import duties. You ever tried it in a real shop or eBay (used tool)? I'm using mostly tools from Wera, a German brand (and produced in Germany), but it is much more expensive that imported tools. The other side: you have it to the end of your life because it is undestroyable ;)

BroDragon

Reputable
May 12, 2014

BroDragon

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Thanks FormatC, I looked on eBay using "torque limiting screwdrivers" and got buried with literally thousands of irrelevant items, wrenches, auto parts etc. I modified with Wera and got one item that wasn't a Phillips type. I agree that the imperial/metric conversion is a bit of a pain but most torque limiting screwdrivers are rated at a much higher minimum than I need for working on video cards. New Wera torque limiting screwdrivers seem to also be near US$100. The picture on the article shows a yellow/black screwdriver next to a Stanley labeled box but I haven't been able to identify it. Still looking.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This precision mechanic tools are a little bit special. I made a similar experience in Ukraine. You get only bigger tools to repair tanks and bulldozers :D

In Germany it is easier to find tools:
Wera, from 0,3 Nm to 1,2 Nm

The Proxxon from the review costs only 48 Euro (VAT included).

BTW:
Stanley (Black & Decker) is ok and an US brand (mostly made in China) :p

But:
I'm sure that you can also belive your fingers (with a little bit experience) with a normal screwdriver :)

First and foremost, maintenance is key. Paramount. Most important. Safety first.

Consider this hall of shame http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/support/rma-hall-of-shame

It is quite obvious this card

20161020_104348.jpg

needs a thorough cleaning. NEVER EVER EVER!!!! allow your GFX card's fins to become this choked with dust. It's sorta easy. Turn on, GAME ON!!!! GEt your surf on! Etc.. and turn off. The GFX card is upside down. Possibly hiding Cousin It

74c03faeacdd6f2454e7b8a80ff57199.png

in its bowels.

Monthly bursts of love( this could have gone so wrong) from a can of air can help to expel dust or other debris from within the fins and prevent it from taking up residency in the nooks and crannies eventually leading to a mandatory disassembly and thorough cleaning. Use the air with care. We don't want to overspin the fans. We also don't want to shove that dust farther into dangerous areas. WE also want to remove the card from the case prior to cleaning.

Guess what? If you have a air CPU cooler now MIGHT be a good time to check on it. AIO and custom water cooling pros should monitor their radiator(s) closely too.

You should also get a baseline. When you get your card note the ambient temp, fan curve and temperature window from idle to load with a specific sequence such as one provided by Unigine Heaven. Run it more than a few times to get an average. With constant care you can reduce the times you need to perform surgery on your GFX card. A year passing by doesn't necessarily necessitate a disassembly and thorough cleaning. Your temperature averages can dictate that.

Should you be unhappy with your baseline at 70F/21C NOW is the time to reapply the paste. Day one that you own the card. SHould the temperature be deemed dangerous by your research NOW is the time for an RMA. Leave the surgery to the manufacturer. You did make sure surgery doesn't void the warranty? Just because I want it to stay below 40C at full load with Furmark running for an hour doesn't mean a reapplication will meet your expectation. You need to know your card's expected window and have reasonable expectations.

Make sure you don't have silicon envy. Just because Susie next door has the exact same card, game settings, monitor... Identical system specs and room temperature doesn't mean your temperature will be identical.That silicon will be microscopically different in each card.

Are you going to OC eventually? OC now during your baseline tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.