How to overclock AMD Athlon x4 860k?

xdthevoidxd

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I want to build a pc with this processor. I hear that you can get a lot out of it, overclocking-wise. The motherboard will be the gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H. I don't know the first thing about overclocking, so I want to know how to do it. Thanks!

Solution
The AMD Athlon x4 860K has an unlocked CPU multiplier. You simply raise the multiplier to over-clock the CPU. The clock speed of your CPU is determined by the multiplier times the clock speed.

For a stable OC, you should disable 'Turbo' and take manual control of your CPU voltage -- that's pretty much it. Use AMD OverDrive to monitor your CPU temps and test for stability.

Keep your volts as low as possible -- higher volts = more heat. Good aftermarket cooling can help keep your temps down and increase your OC.

The AMD Athlon x4 860K has an unlocked CPU multiplier. You simply raise the multiplier to over-clock the CPU. The clock speed of your CPU is determined by the multiplier times the clock speed.

For a stable OC, you should disable 'Turbo' and take manual control of your CPU voltage -- that's pretty much it. Use AMD OverDrive to monitor your CPU temps and test for stability.

Keep your volts as low as possible -- higher volts = more heat. Good aftermarket cooling can help keep your temps down and increase your OC.

Solution

kev400

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
managed to overclock my x4 860k to max of 4.2 any higher became unstable I am using a cooler master evo 212 cooler not yet touched the voltage settings would this allow it to go higher and if so could this cooler handle it

Cadaliac1999

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Dude, I'm building my first PC soon with this CPU and want to know exactly how you got it to 4.2. I'll be using the same cooler so it shouldn't be a difference.

I'm a big chicken :) and for everyday use seldom venture past 1.4- to 1.45v with good air, With good water I suspect you can go higher, maybe to 1.5v and feel comfortable.

With the graphic CUs disabled, heat is less of an issue but your OC essentially becomes a matter of the chip lottery --- and the 'volt-leaky' nature of your processor.

SeppiMontana

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Hello.
I will get my 860k soon and I am still searching for some informations on how to overclock it. I will have Grand Kama Cross 2 as TopBlow cooler. My board is the ATX (not mATX) version of the ASrock extreme4+.
Can you post some good voltages, multiplier etc. to reach 4.2GHz?

Fuze_5

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Hey, so i have the amd athlon x4 860k with Overclocking R9 270 GPU, 12bg ram, 4.2Ghz cpu. i set mine with AMD OverDrive if you don't know who to do it look it up on youtube and i set it to stable Voltages 1.3250 cpu vid and 1.1375 nb vid. hope this help.

04josrey

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Mines over clocked to 4.4 with stock voltages its stable and ever after a 24 hour stability test the temps never went above 50C with a hyper 212 evo on a Asus A88XM-Plus board

Norwood

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
You will get 4.2 happily with a decent cooler and no voltage tweaks. Just be sure to disable turbo mode in bios as this will push it beyond 4.2 at times of load and create instability. With voltage tweaks i would expect possibly upto 4.5 ghz on good quality air cooling, but some chips are more tolerant than others so it really boils down to whether your particular 860k was made on a good day or a bad day.
The athlon 870k is meant to be appearing, which is a newer refresh of the architecture, and apparently better at overclocking.

Sick-D

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

Would be awesome to overclock like this BUT: my BIOS doesn't show me the multiplier? (ASUS A58-M USB3)

possibly you know what i am doing wrong??

Sick-D

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

ehm sorry but no :D i am using Linux Mint 17 ... there is no overdrive for linux...

my Problem: my old CPU (AMD A10-5800k) no problem to overclock... my amd athlon x4 860k black edition -> no chance...

poblopuablo

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Mines over clocked to 4.4 with stock voltages its stable and ever after a 24 hour stability test the temps never went above 50C with a hyper 212 evo on a Asus A88XM-Plus board
I'm doing this also but don't know how to adjust voltage. I'm gonna be using cryorig h7, fatal1ty fm2a88x+ killer, 860k, 290x(custom cooled) 4*4gb 1333 ram(do I have to cover lock this ram in order to over clock cpu?)

I'm new to overclocking and would like to try to get about 4.3-4.7ish out of this...if at all possible. :)

Leave your RAMs at stock. Same with the IMC/NB.

Disable Turbo. Raise the CPU multiplier and test for temps and stability along the way. If you fail, bump your volts and try again.

It helps if you work the VCore manually -- find the lowest volts you can run stock-speed 100% load before you start raising the CPU multiplier. That helps keep your temps down and boosts your OC.

BUT, temps should not be as issue at all with the 860K.

Avacados

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

I'm running at 4.5ghz on my Arctic A32 cooler with temps that never go above 40 degrees centigrade.
Ive tried to go to 4.6ghz but windows starts crashing once I start stressing the cpu, Is this something to do with voltage?

TRENDING THREADS