How To Overclock AMD Ryzen CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have evidence to the contrary and the GTX-1080 works well with new Ryzen 7 1800X.
jP79Wmz.jpg

KRoEVaD.jpg

Kenneth_72

Prominent
May 5, 2017
AMD's is missing it's opportunities. They better start hitting the ground running if they want to compete AND WE NEED THEM TO COMPETE!

G

It is horrible overclocker. I have 6900k running 4.4@1.25V and on Load temperature doesn't go over 52C, idles ~24-30C.

Ryzen doesn't OC great but that 6900k is a $1000 CPU. From a value perspective a 1700 OC'ed to 3.9-4.0Ghz is only a few percent behind the 6900k and we are talking 3x less cost vs the 6900k so there is that.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Very nice write up it sounds like you had a lot of fun doing all of this. It is always great to learn something new and what better way than to do that on a completely new platform. Where you kind of have to go back to the basics and find what the limits are and what the settings you apply to the system effect overall performance.

I have bookmarked this write up because I plan to get a Ryzen based system down the road and most likely will be the R7 1700 it makes the most sense. I hope that if there is a big batch of bug updates or added features to the bios that you will do a follow up of this to show the gains if any. Thank You

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Just make sure you don't overclock your i7 7700K as per Intels instructions

http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-7700k-owners-flood-forums-with-overheating-complaints/

f4d0a803488fef2269007e9bdb3e6a7d1c087301e63b169ea76b56f556a64448.jpg

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRCK7RfbUg

for one. . . there's some stuff on the L T T forums as well. It's over a month old, dunno if the issue has been addressed by nVidia or not. They certainly have not acknowledged it publicly. Otherwise you'd probably have heard of it.

But not on Tom's, they'd never slander big green.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
intel is dead in the water once amd fixes the bugs in the new set ups. Mixed results so far atm but things are getting better seen the video hand having amd being so open when intel arnt w8 till the end of the year for the 2nd gen rysens processors & motherboards always the 1st gen or anything is buggy usually technology wise i be upgrading soon from intel usually an intel fan but over the way intel have been stacking their prices & push on the skylake series boards kaby lake shows no intrest to me i rather pay the diffrence & w8 for amd to sort the rest the issues then i be going amd & do some testing. Come on AMD give intel the scare they need as the next lot of video cards are going be worth the wait

__Isomorph__

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
wizerty, what are those other boards you mentioned in passing that have an external clock and allow increase of ref clk above 100Mhz? does the Taichi x370 allow this?

The are the ones I know of that have an external clock generator.

Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, Asrock Taichi, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K7

Logic-Elliven

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
NB: G.Skill's Flare line are just rebadged Ripjaws with $ 30 tacked onto the price.

I note that there was no mention of bus termination impedance/resistance setting tweaking in the writeup..?!?

There is a piece of software called 'Project Mercury' that avoids inter CCX thread hopping and SMT until more threads than cores per CCX and allows the switching off of SMT without a reboot.
CPU utilization: ~0% ie: Bloody good software!
The site and name need work and some anti virus packages take offence to the compression used in the software>
Virustotal shows 'UDS:DangerousObject.Multi.Generic' for 3 out of 60 AV scans = false positive to me.

Project Mercury:
https://techcenterdk.wordpress.com/2017/04/09/project-mercury-v1-2-8-0-released/

If it had been used for this review it would have saved tonnes of time in reboots...

Status
Not open for further replies.