How to overclock CPUs

James Junior

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
So you are noticing that your fps or general performance has been low.What can you do? Well one great way to gain performance is by overclocking.Overclocking is basicly making some electronic component (CPU in this case) run faster than what the manufactorer intented.Ok so what are the draw backs? The main draw backs of overclocking are:
1-Higher heat output
2-Higher power comsumption
3-If not done right it can cause the FAILURE of component
Ok so that sounds scary, how do I avoid those? If you just follow this guide step by step NOT missing anything or overdoing it you should be fine.But do it at your own risk.Ok so what do you need for overclocking?
Alert: This guide is for Intel processors but it's (for the most part) the same for AMD.
1- A motherboard supporting overclocking and overvolting.
2-A CPU that allows overvolting and overclocking.
3-Enough head room in terms of temperature.
4-And enough extra wattage in your power supply.
5-Good CPU Cooler.
Well which motherboards and CPUs support overclocking? The Z and X series motherboards most of the time support overclocking.( Asus and Gigabyte are good manufactorers).When it comes to Intel CPUs the K (unlocked) and X (Extreme Edition) CPUs have unlocked mutiplyers and are overclockable.And in terms of AMD the FX series are overclockable.You can also download the AMD only Overdrive for monitoring and automatic overclocking.Ok so I have an overclockable Intel processor.Where do I start? Well start by going loging into Windows and downloading Prime 95 and Core Temp.You will use AIDA64 for stress testing your CPU and Core Temp for monitoring the temperatures.Ok so my reach some high temperatures and/or Locked up with/or without a Bluescreen.This indicates that your CPU got too hot and shut itself down to prevent damage.To fix this get an Aftermarket cooler such as a water cooler or a bigger heatsink.Then run the test again.If the tempetures are in the range of 30-60 Degrees you will be good to go.When you are ready for overclocking, shut down your computer and as it's starting back up start mashing the button for your BIOS.This button varies from motherboard to motherboard, but the most common buttons is Delete.Although you can check what's the button for your motherboard in their website.Once you are in the BIOS, go to Advanced Mode (If your motherboard has one) and then go to Advanced CPU settings or just CPU settings.Then look for Multiplyer.Once you find that type in 45 ( For all Cores).Wait wait wait what does 45 mean? 45 is your multiplyer.To find it do this:
Take the CPU speed you want to start with (Your cpu speed may vary from 3.0 to 3.5 to even 4.0 GHz.) and divide it by 100.Here:
Say you have a cpu with 3.2 GHz Stock.3.2 GHz = 3200 Mhz : 100 = 32
4.5 GHz = 4500 Mhz : 100 = 45.That's how you find your multiplyer.
And then change your CPU Voltage. I whould recommend starting with 1.3 Volts.Then (If your CPU supports it) go to Turbo Boost and turn it off.Save and exit.And IF you reach windows run the stress test while monitoring your temperatures.What if I don't reach windows and or my system Locks up or I get a blue screen? First try increasing the voltage from the BIOS.From 1.3 to 1.35.The reason we are doing this slowly is because we don't want to kill the processor instantly.If tht doesn't work increase it to 1.4 Volts.AND If that doesn't work turn your multiplyer down to 42 (For all cores).And turn your voltage down to 1.3 or 1.35.Then go to windows (or if you were there already ) run the test for an hour or so.If the test passes then you have done it!.But if the test fails in say 10 or 30 minutes.Do the same steps above.The genral rule is: If your processor is not stable (aka crashing) turn your voltage up a bit.Never exeed 1.45 Volts and 4.5 GHz.If you have 1.45Volts and you are still crashing turn your
Mutiplyer down a bit say from 4.5 to 4.2 or 4.3 and start over from 1.3 Volts.
Now time to overclock your memory.Start by going into the BIOS and to Memory Settings (it may be below your cpu settings).And look for the option of X.M.P.If you have a memory with a Stock speed of 2400 MHz you can ignore the next step.If you have memory with higher speed of 2400MHz listen up.You need to watch out for other system setting changes.If you have memory with higher frequensy of 2400 MHz this option will most likely change your CPU Strap Setting to 125 Mhz.This is OK ,but this means that now your CPU Clock Speed will be calculated by multiplying the core ratio by 125 rather than 100.So you will want to keep X.M.P OFF for now and re-verify that 4.5 GHz stabilyty test setting your Multiplyer to 36.With that verifyed you can tun X.M.P back ON.And rerun the stabilyty test.If it fails or the start up is inconsistant with the error code B5.You will want to crank the RAM Voltage.But you should keep it around 1.4 Volts.And you may want to fine tune your CPU System Agent voltage.Your milage may vary but having 1.02 Volts is very good in most cases.And keep in mind more isn't always better here.It's more of a tuning process.Rerun the test and it passes.Run it for 24 Hours and if it passed you have successed with your journey.But if you are still not happy with the performance or you want to push it a bit more. You can do so by increasing it a little bit by little bit.But you may notice that say you have a stable 4.7 GHz overclock but it it crashes in a few minutes in 4.8 GHz overclock, but still want to achive your target.( most likely somewhere between).Then you may want to play around with the base clock a little bit.And I MEAN a little bit.You can go to Base Clock and play around.You may have a little box with the current clock speed or not.You can increase the Base clock from say 100.0 to 100.5 or 101.But BE careful because changing the Base Clock may result in other Buses being overclocked for example the memory bus.The memory bus doesn't take overclocking lightly and WILL Punish you for increasing it's speed.So BE careful and increase it slowly.After you are happy with your current STABLE clock speed you MAY want to dive into RAM settings and play around a bit.IF you want to.For example you may want to tighten your RAM timings without ruining your stable overclock.But be CAREFUL!...So there you go! You have do it! :D.I am proud of you.