[SOLVED] how to overclock my pc

May 21, 2019
sorry if i mess up anything

specs:

i5 3230m

amd radeon hd 76070m 2gb vram

8gb ram ddr3

any help will be appreciated

also don't worry about cooling i'll manage and if you know a way ca you provide me with a step by step tutorial because i never tried it.
thak you

Solution
I have a similar laptop to you, with a i5-3210M and a HD 7670M. You won't be able to overclock the CPU, however IF you have good temperatures(Check with MSI Afterburner), you can unlock voltage and up that core clock quite a bit.. I went from 500MHz to 740MHz(mem from 900 to 1140) Total perf increase was around %40. I would recommend against it if you don't need it, though.

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
I have a similar laptop to you, with a i5-3210M and a HD 7670M. You won't be able to overclock the CPU, however IF you have good temperatures(Check with MSI Afterburner), you can unlock voltage and up that core clock quite a bit.. I went from 500MHz to 740MHz(mem from 900 to 1140) Total perf increase was around %40. I would recommend against it if you don't need it, though.

Solution
May 21, 2019
thank you for your help but can you guide me through the process step by step because i never even tried overclocking
thank you for the inconveniance

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
thank you for your help but can you guide me through the process step by step because i never even tried overclocking
thank you for the inconveniance
First you should download msi afterburner. and then run something like Unigine Heaven to get the GPU hot. After around 10 minutes, check the temperature of your gpu(With MSI Afterburner) and let me know what it is

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
You can but you shouldn't if this is a computer that is your main machine. If you overclock your GPU you could end up significantly shortening its lifespan. Here's a beginners video guide to overclocking a GPU if you choose to. JayZTwoCents Video
This is a misconseption, if you aren't increasing voltages / getting dangerous temps, you won't shorten its lifespan. Even for these laptops, if you increase from 0.9V to 1V that's absolutely no problem because the desktop chips(Same arch - which is whats important) run at like 1.25V.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
This is a misconseption, if you aren't increasing voltages / getting dangerous temps, you won't shorten its lifespan. Even for these laptops, if you increase from 0.9V to 1V that's absolutely no problem because the desktop chips(Same arch - which is whats important) run at like 1.25V.
The desktop chips run at 1.25V because they aren't in a less than an inch thick laptop with power and cooling constraints. Yes not increasing the voltage isn't going to do anything as far as lifespan goes, but increasing core clocks without any voltage increases is just going to reduce stability. Saying that you can increase voltage on a laptop chip because desktop chips have a higher voltages is illogical.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
as long the the heat is fine and voltage doesn't get increase over normal specs, it will not significantly decrease the lifespan. You should be even able to increase the clock speed of that gpu without even touching voltage. and then it will be mega safe as long the temps are not crazy.

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
The desktop chips run at 1.25V because they aren't in a less than an inch thick laptop with power and cooling constraints. Yes not increasing the voltage isn't going to do anything as far as lifespan goes, but increasing core clocks without any voltage increases is just going to reduce stability. Saying that you can increase voltage on a laptop chip because desktop chips have a higher voltages is illogical.
It isn't illogical AS FAR AS there are no temp and power limits.