[SOLVED] How to overwrite SSD if computer won't boot with it connected.

Nov 18, 2019
So I bought a new SATA m.2 SSD. Before I had a standard HDD in my laptop. At the end of the cloning process (using samsung), it said the cloning failed. Now my computer will not boot if the SSD is inserted. Taking the SSD out allows the computer to boot normally. How can I fix the SSD if my computer won't boot when its plugged in?

I tried inserting it after the computer was turned on and that didn't work.

Solution
If it is still detected in the BIOS, you can simply fresh install to the new drive with old drive removed. (Download/create a WIn10 install USB directly from MS; you can install correct chipset /NVME/GPU drivers afterward from assorted mainboard/SSD/GPU makers)

Early in the install process, you will steer the installer menu on where to install, and, as long as the new SSD shows up , you can delete whatever partitions show there, and have it start 'like new'.
You need to jump into the BIOS setup before bootup has started and make sure the old drive is the primary boot device...

Also of concern is making sure you are using a SATA M.2 in a SATA capable M.2 slot (vice NVME-only), as not all will support both types

PS: M.2 drive slots are not likely considered 'hot swappable', so I'd refrain from inserting any while powered on after bootup (We will hope it still shows up/is detected in the BIOS after this procedure)

Last edited:
If it is still detected in the BIOS, you can simply fresh install to the new drive with old drive removed. (Download/create a WIn10 install USB directly from MS; you can install correct chipset /NVME/GPU drivers afterward from assorted mainboard/SSD/GPU makers)

Early in the install process, you will steer the installer menu on where to install, and, as long as the new SSD shows up , you can delete whatever partitions show there, and have it start 'like new'.

Solution
Nov 18, 2019
You need to jump into the BIOS setup before bootup has started and make sure the old drive is the primary boot device...

Also of concern is making sure you are using a SATA M.2 in a SATA capable M.2 slot (vice NVME-only), as not all will support both types

PS: M.2 drive slots are not likely considered 'hot swappable', so I'd refrain from inserting any while powered on after bootup (We will hope it still shows up/is detected in the BIOS after this procedure)
Even if I use the BIOS to boot from the original HD, windows won't start. I read on here that windows will refuse to boot if it detects any defective drives, so that's probably what's happening (?). I've got the right type, I already bought and returned a NVME m.2 which was incompatible.

Nov 18, 2019

I'll give this a try.

TRENDING THREADS