How to password protect "Windows" System folder.

Chris23

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Hello there,

I have done quite a bit of research, but not found many answers on Password protecting a system folder such as

C:\windows\

Thanks for your help

Solution
Thank you very much for the responses, I am grateful. I shall look into administrator permissions. The reason for this is to prevent a family safely filter from being removed, and by going into Windows>system32>driver - the driver for the filter can be removed and prevents it working. Sorry for not being altogether clear, through I am appreciative of the responses.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I'm no expert in security but I dont think you would password protect a folder like that. You would set permissions so only the administrator or certain users that you designate would have access to the folder.

Lots of guides out there on how to do this, here is one: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/set-file-folder-permissions-windows/

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Just make sure UAC is enabled on your computer and make sure all administrator accounts have a strong password. Also, make sure that you login using a regular user account (an account which is not a member of the local administrators group). UAC was specifically designed to help protect Windows from modification, and if you log in to Windows using a regular user account, you'll benefit from UAC.

t53186

Distinguished
You didn't find many answers because you do not password protect system folders. You can encrypt files and folders, you can use bitlocker.
Why are you thinking of that, maybe another solution is available that you have not thought of. How about letting us know what you are trying to accomplish?

Chris23

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Thank you very much for the responses, I am grateful. I shall look into administrator permissions. The reason for this is to prevent a family safely filter from being removed, and by going into Windows>system32>driver - the driver for the filter can be removed and prevents it working. Sorry for not being altogether clear, through I am appreciative of the responses.

Solution
Sep 14, 2018
This is more for people like me, who were looking for a solution and stumbled upon this conversation. (I assume the original poster's problem has long been solved.)

The only easy solution I've found that worked (not saying there aren't any other solutions - I stopped looking once I found this one) was to use Wise Folder Hider, which is free. It sets a master password and hides the folder you wish to make inaccessible so that even Windows can't see it. In order to again be able to access that folder, you then need to open the Wise Folder Hider program, which can only be opened using the aforementioned password. (Of course, some more knowledgeable users will find other ways, but I couldn't find an obvious one, and that was all I needed.)