How to permanently disable superfetch service ?

May 4, 2018
Hey guys, as many of you know the "superfetch" service cause the high cpu or disk usage problem in some systems including mine, i'm using the latest version of windows 10 and i want to know how to permanently disable superfetch service ? these are the methods that i tried:
1- Disabling the superfetch service from "services.msc" and yes i definitely know how to do it rightly because i did the same with windows update and some other services that i didn't needed and they got completely disabled.
2- Disabling the superfetch service from "regedit" which in this case i changed the value of "EnableSuperfetch" & "EnablePrefetch" to 0 but still after some time and few times of restarting i see that superfetch service is running again.
and keep in mind that i can't change my windows cause in any windows except windows 10 my system can't connect to wifi anymore.

Edit: After disabling windows update and BITS services superfetch service also didn't turned on anymore.

Solution
Windows updates override the superfetch and prefetcher service disables and re-enable them as default, so using msconfig in selective startup will prevent that from happening every time windows updates. Both are part of windows 'indexing' service, and with SSDs are next to useless, but are of decent help with OS on HDD, severely cutting down on search times for files. SSDs don't need this as files are not addressed the same way, all addresses are 'up front', not ½way through a spinning disk.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Are you running a "selective startup" through MSCONFIG? MSCONFIG selective startup will store your preferences for disabled services and shouldn't be overwritten with winupdates.

Basically, just run MSCONFIG and disable the Superfetch service on the Services tab. Then, on the general tab, it should be set to Selective Startup: Load System Services (check), Load Startup Items (check).

May 4, 2018

Actually it's on selective startup and load system services and load startup items are both checked, sorry my english isn't that good, should i change any settings in there or it's already in the way it should be ?[/quotemsg]

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows updates override the superfetch and prefetcher service disables and re-enable them as default, so using msconfig in selective startup will prevent that from happening every time windows updates. Both are part of windows 'indexing' service, and with SSDs are next to useless, but are of decent help with OS on HDD, severely cutting down on search times for files. SSDs don't need this as files are not addressed the same way, all addresses are 'up front', not ½way through a spinning disk.

Solution