[SOLVED] How to permanently disable Windows updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethonodon

Reputable
Mar 29, 2021
With every Windows update, I fear my computer will no longer function. Every single update, something new breaks. One update, my mouse will no longer connect. Another, my screen is tinted a shade of purple. Next, my usb ports stop working. Every single update makes this software even worse, makes my computer slower, and takes an hour out of my day for me to babysit my machine to make sure the update doesn't scourge, destroy, or otherwise dispoil the software the update is supposed to improve. Every day I wake up fearing that a Windows update will strike, ambushing my computer and rendering it temporarily useless. Will my headphones work after this update? What direction will my fans spin today? Which usb port will refuse to recognize everything but my microphone? Such are the questions I must ask myself after every update. Seeing as my machine functions perfectly fine without these "improvements" inhibiting my PC's performance, I doubt it would do much harm to rid of this plague known as Windows updates. I must ask here: how do I conquer this software and rid my computer of such evil?

Reactions: kashanrat
Solution
For the vast majority of Windows users, the regular updates do not cause such havoc to one's system. Which leads me to believe the issue is with your system (not your fault, just your system).

What are you settings set for in Windows Updates and Security and Advanced Settings?
I have the following set (and do not experience any issues with Windows updates):

Advanced Options
Update Options

Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows
- Set to OFF
Download updates over metered connections (extra charges may apply - Set to OFF
Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and...

USAFRet

Titan
With every Windows update, I fear my computer will no longer function.
As opposed to any and all of my systems....that does not happen.
Been running Win 10 since Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.

Your task, should you decide to accept it, is discover WHY your system seems to fail in the face of a Windows update.
That is NOT a normal occurrence.

Seriously.

Reactions: Corwin65

Wolfshadw

Titan
For the vast majority of Windows users, the regular updates do not cause such havoc to one's system. Which leads me to believe the issue is with your system (not your fault, just your system).

What are you settings set for in Windows Updates and Security and Advanced Settings?
I have the following set (and do not experience any issues with Windows updates):

Advanced Options
Update Options

- Set to OFF
Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in. - Set to OFF

Update notifications

Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating
- Set to OFF

-Wolf sends

P.S. In response to your actual query, you don't. Windows needs to maintain itself (in particular when it comes to security) and for that reason, updates cannot be permanently shut off. Remember, you do not own the OS. You're only leasing the right to use it in whatever way MS decides what's best.

Solution
With every Windows update, I fear my computer will no longer function. Every single update, something new breaks. One update, my mouse will no longer connect. Another, my screen is tinted a shade of purple. Next, my usb ports stop working. Every single update makes this software even worse, makes my computer slower, and takes an hour out of my day for me to babysit my machine to make sure the update doesn't scourge, destroy, or otherwise dispoil the software the update is supposed to improve. Every day I wake up fearing that a Windows update will strike, ambushing my computer and rendering it temporarily useless. Will my headphones work after this update? What direction will my fans spin today? Which usb port will refuse to recognize everything but my microphone? Such are the questions I must ask myself after every update. Seeing as my machine functions perfectly fine without these "improvements" inhibiting my PC's performance, I doubt it would do much harm to rid of this plague known as Windows updates. I must ask here: how do I conquer this software and rid my computer of such evil?
I don't think you can disable winupd but you can delay it up to 45 days.
So you pick a date and you know when it's coming.

You can block driver updates if you would like to try that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
only current way to block em is to do it off the system you want it blocked for.

a firewall between you and the outside world set to block the update ip address would stop it from connecting and downloading anything. otherwise nothing you can do since ms has decided for you that you WILL receive those updates whether you want them or not. nothing inside the pc itself will allow you to disable it without ms turning it back on as soon as you look away.

Ethonodon

Reputable
Mar 29, 2021
As opposed to any and all of my systems....that does not happen.
Been running Win 10 since Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.

Your task, should you decide to accept it, is discover WHY your system seems to fail in the face of a Windows update.
That is NOT a normal occurrence.

Seriously.
I was able to deduce that this event was not a normal activity, but rather some foul operation by sinister or malfunctioning hard/software. Given that every update introduces myself to another, new misfortune, I've found my quest for Eternal Functionality quite oblique. My benighted folly has led me only to trifle, therefore I must request direction towards a strategy designed for obtaining such information I require, especially in the face of such muddled botheration.

Ethonodon

Reputable
Mar 29, 2021

Advanced Options
Update Options

- Set to OFF
Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in. - Set to OFF

Update notifications

Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating
- Set to OFF

-Wolf sends

P.S. In response to your actual query, you don't. Windows needs to maintain itself (in particular when it comes to security) and for that reason, updates cannot be permanently shut off. Remember, you do not own the OS. You're only leasing the right to use it in whatever way MS decides what's best.
I've spotted my settings and I've found they are identical to yours. I would be delighted if I could surmise why maintaining my machine involves cursing it.

Ethonodon

Reputable
Mar 29, 2021
only current way to block em is to do it off the system you want it blocked for.

a firewall between you and the outside world set to block the update ip address would stop it from connecting and downloading anything. otherwise nothing you can do since ms has decided for you that you WILL receive those updates whether you want them or not. nothing inside the pc itself will allow you to disable it without ms turning it back on as soon as you look away.
Then it is so. If I cannot escape Microsoft's wrath, I must find a way to thwart its negative effects.

Ethonodon

Reputable
Mar 29, 2021
Very likely that Windows is capturing some related error codes, warnings, etc....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Also look in (view) Update History. Any failed or problem updates?
I spot several "critical events" relating to Windows, all from today. I've not the foggiest what they mean, besides "bad".

Jeff Root

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Ethonodon,

I did a clean install of the then-current version of Windows 10 on my HP laptop early last November. Before going online, I completely disabled its ability to call home to Microsoft. I do not get any updates or warnings of any kind. Everything appears to be working well.

I disabled some sevices and some Task Scheduler entries to do that. I think I also renamed two system files. I don't have time to go through my records to try to figure out exactly what I did or what you need to do, but my point is that it can be done, and it works.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

kashanrat

Distinguished
May 9, 2014
mate use this workaround:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atgKRQjsKA
it uses registry permissions to deny windowsupdate services access and its also completely reversible so u can decide when u want it. of course you should take care to manage your security as microsoft patches vulnerabilities through updates.

kashanrat

Distinguished
May 9, 2014

this is absolutely not true and there are certain workarounds which still work to disable windows update permanently (of course im not talking about simply disabling the service and changing some gpedit and registry values, cos microsoft already knows about those)
can do for any version of windows home/pro etc (which microsoft doesnt repair and turn on again). just because you dont have the knowledge how to doesnt mean it is not possible.....

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
this is absolutely not true and there are certain workarounds which still work to disable windows update permanently (of course im not talking about simply disabling the service and changing some gpedit and registry values, cos microsoft already knows about those)
can do for any version of windows home/pro etc (which microsoft doesnt repair and turn on again). just because you dont have the knowledge how to doesnt mean it is not possible.....
I think the point is that Windows Updates don’t ruin your system. There may be negative results after a Windows Update, but that could have been because of power loss during the update, drivers that need to be updated, or problems with specific software. To say that someone should completely disable Windows Updates is not a solution, especially when the proper troubleshooting steps have not been followed.

Edit: Anyone following a YouTube tutorial or guide can figure out how to stop Windows Updates. It actually takes knowledge to troubleshoot issues like this.

Reactions: aldan
this has a lot of suggestions on how to block updates.

I like method 2, just rename the .dll

USAFRet

Titan
As always - Identify the problem before applying a solution.

Here, is seems the nuclear solution (disable updates) is being applied before even the merest investigation into discovering the actual problem.

What is the problem with this system that seems to be affected with "Windows Updates"?
No one knows, but too many are happy to go suggest the nuclear option.

Status
Not open for further replies.