Question How to physically fit everything?

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

Here's my dilemma. Rocking a Threadripper Pro 5995WX. My case is a Lian Li O11D XL but I'm not married to it and would happily get something else.

I need to fit all this in my system:
  • RTX 4090 FE
  • Intel Arc A770
  • ASUS Hyper M.2 Gen 4 card
  • Elgato 4K60 Pro capture card

I have enough pcie slots and lanes to make all this work. But I can't physically mount it all and I'm looking for some exotic mounting solution using riser cables.

Does anyone even know where to start on how to pull this off?

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
What's the rest of your specs? Motherboard, power supply (Exact model), memory kit, etc.? In any case, but especially in cases like this, any component could be a difference maker.

Appreciate the reply. Motherboard is the Asrock Creator WRX80, PSU is the EVGA 1600w T1. Memory is 8 dimms of corsair vengeance rgb pro.

So, I've looked and looked for solutions, and aside from creating a custom modification that allows you to somehow vertically mount the 4090 someplace other than covering the lower five expansions slots on that case, I see no way it could be done with your case.

Even with a different case, like the Rosewill Thor V2, Corsair 900D or other cases which have ten expansion slots, I'm still not sure it will work using a vertical GPU mount bracket and riser cable but if there IS any way it can be done without custom fabrication, it's going to be using a case with either ten or eleven expansion slots and it will need to be a fairly wide case designed for use with vertical mounted graphics cards, especially since yours is a 3.5 slot card.

It would be no problem without the second graphics card. Sorry man, I am interested in seeing how this could be done, but I'm not seeing it myself UNLESS possibly you use one of the few dual system cases that are out there and instead of installing a second motherboard or PSU you use that additional space to somehow mount a vertical GPU bracket there. It's the only idea I can think of that might actually work if a ten slot case won't.

Reactions: pmjm

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Greatly appreciate the reply and I love the idea of the 2-system case. Lian Li just released the V3000 Plus, I might take a look at that.

I wish I could do without the second GPU. This system is for video editing, and my footage is h.265 10-bit 4:2:2. Intel has hardware acceleration for this, but Nvidia and AMD do not. By putting an Arc GPU in the system, I can edit my video files without transcoding proxies (using the Arc) and then render using the superior Nvenc aceleration on the 4090. I also do some 3d work which greatly benefits from the 4090 otherwise I'd have gone with a smaller 3000 series RTX card.
I could get the same codec support using QuickSync on an Intel CPU, but then I lose Threadripper, which makes renders just fly. If only Intel had a viable HEVC platform.

Perhaps the solution is watercooling the 4090 to bring down its size. Unfortunately nobody makes a water block for the Arc GPUs.

Thanks again for the thoughts. Will update this thread if I make any headway.

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
After taking a closer look at the V3000 Plus, I think that's the way to go. I can run a pcie riser cable out of the bottom pcie slot on the motherboardboard down through the floor of the main chamber and mount the 4090 vertically in the lower chamber.

Water cooling the 4090 still isn't a bad idea, but obviously, means more money. Seems like that is not the problem though, money. So, an option to reduce the footprint somewhat.

Yeah, I agree, looks like the V3000 Plus could work. Figured if there's room to put two complete systems in a case there has to be a way to make an abomination of a ginormous graphics card and a few other components fit somehow.

Reactions: pmjm