Question How to pick up RAM for specific motherboard (ASRock B450M Pro4) and processor (Ryzen 5 2400G)?

Oct 26, 2018
Hello. I'm choosing RAM memory for my new build for home purposes. I'm looking for 2x8Gb modules working on 2.9Mhz. So here is the thing, QVL list from ASRock is not updated since processor is coming out (speaking the words what tech. support asnwered me) and only couple models what they are putted on the list I have in sell in my country. I can pick them up, but refering to the feedback none of them are ideal working on declared speed.

But I want to choose from a little more broad range that's its listed almost 2 years ago. My mobo is not too rare but on Kingston, Patriot and Corsair memory websites I can not find my mobo model (ASRock B450M Pro 4) in theirs compatible list.

My questions to advanced pc builders is how can I choose RAM for my specs? Because RAM manufacturer put list of the Ryzen processor compatible memory, but did not mention any motherboard. So how can I choose my memory? What information should I look and where?

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2018
Oh, I'm not so mean to search information for me :). I'm just want to know the method... but I called ASRock and they told that are many RAM's which are not listed but are actually are working fine at the moment.

How to detect them thats the question...

Last edited:
Just look at QVL and note speeds and timings of each RAM listed, any memory with same data should work fine. In my experience, any DDR4 up to 3200MHz works fine on 400 series chipsets, for more you have to look for RAM with Samsung b-die chips.
Also from experience, Kingston makes most AMD "friendly" RAM. Something like this for instance: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104702

Reactions: lightparticle4d
its recommended that you use single sided dims. also known as single rank dims.
basically the ram is placed on 1 side of the ram pcb rather than both.

i too also have a 2700x and im using corsair lpx 3000 cas 16 and managed to tighten the timings to cas 14.
so yeah there just seems to be 1 basic rule and thats dont use dual rank dims.

Reactions: lightparticle4d
Feb 17, 2019
I had issues with G.Skill ram only running 2133 and single channel. Returned it and chose HyperX Fury 4gb kit (HX426C15FBK2/8)and it gets dual channel at 3000 MHz no problems. I didn't see it on the QVL list but it does in fact work for the asrock b450m pro4 with my Ryzen 1600

Reactions: CountMike