[SOLVED] How to port forward through a access point?

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hello,

I did a port forward for my computer directly connected to the master router (Asus) and works great. I tried port forwarding another device and it shows the port as closed. The 2nd device is going through another router (Netgear) that is setup as an access point. When I went into the 2nd router/AP it shows port forwarding greyed out and cannot click. So, does that mean all port forwarding is blocked? Or does it pass through and may be experiencing something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello,

I did a port forward for my computer directly connected to the master router (Asus) and works great. I tried port forwarding another device and it shows the port as closed. The 2nd device is going through another router (Netgear) that is setup as an access point. When I went into the 2nd router/AP it shows port forwarding greyed out and cannot click. So, does that mean all port forwarding is blocked? Or does it pass through and may be experiencing something else? Any help would be appreciated.
Here's a related question. Should I be able to access the AP GUI from a computer on the Router? I can't access it without disabling the LAN and switching to the Wifi of the AP.
Assuming that you gave the router/AP a...
The reason it is greyed out is a AP has no concept of ip addresses. It only uses MAC addresses. It is basically a switch with wifi radios. A AP is completely transparent to IP addresses and port numbers.

Maybe there is bug in the AP setup. Try to use the LAN ports instead of the wan port. When you do it this way the traffic never passes through the router chip. The lan ports on a router act as if it was a 5 port switch with 4 lan port and a single port going to the router chip. I suspect though it is something else.

If you can open the application port using the LAN ip from another machine on your lan then everything is working correctly.

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Here's a related question. Should I be able to access the AP GUI from a computer on the Router? I can't access it without disabling the LAN and switching to the Wifi of the AP.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Assuming that you gave the router/AP a static IP address, you should be able to access the GUI from a wired port or from the wireless if it is correctly configured. I would recommend factory resetting the device and starting over. Double check the process for converting that specific Netgear model to an AP. Many times the user's manual for the router has instructions.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
It's set to get IP's dynamically from router. Is that possibly the problem of port forwarding? Or just fixes accessing the GUI through hard line from router to AP?
No. But it could be the problem with the GUI. You generally want a static IP for your network hardware to ensure you can access the GUI.
As @bill001g said, an access point, doesn't know anything about IPs or ports in the traffic it passes.

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
So, fun story. It randomly started working. I am unsure if the Nvidia Shield I was using needed to be restarted or something but it recognizes the port open. Now this may require another thread, but is there a way to secure the port? I know its just an android based OS but concerned it could leave my whole network to virus/hacking.

Not sure what you mean. Hackers can do nothing to a application that is properly protected. The risk is the hacker knows about the bug and then uses it to compromise the device. If there are no bugs then the hacker can not do anything.

You will see pretty much constant traffic scanning for open ports. If they find a open port they then scan for some of the common bug exploits.

This is the risk you take when you open ports to the internet.