[SOLVED] How to Power 120mm fan and LED Lights

michwesp

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Hello All,
My wife bought me a 3D printer for our Anniversary.
I was wanting to design and build my own enclosure for the printer.
I have an idea of what I want it to look like but I have no idea about electronics at all.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to power a 120mm fan for heat exhaust along with having led lights powered by the same PSU or is there a way to use like a raspberry motherboard to control/power fan and lights.

I know this might be a little beyond my skill level but I am so excited about this 3D printer and building this enclosure.

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Solution
you'd be looking for something outside of regular computer system hardware to create a showcase like you're describing.

or you'd be practically building an entire new computer built-in to the housing to control aRGB options, fan PWM speeds, and a temperature display.
though then it could be dedicated to 3D printing and the printer itself wouldn't need to be placed near another system.

i've never seen a Raspberry board with fan and RGB headers, but it's possible.
maybe look into a very cheap\low power mITX build instead.

michwesp

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
there are fairly cheap RGB fans that run off of a single molex power connection.
something similar to this may be what you're looking for, 120mm Red LED.
Thank you for the Idea.
My original thought was to have plenty of bright overhead led lighting to view the print and occasionally change the color for the neat factor while having a temperature indicator on the outside of the enclosure and enough exhaust fans to maintain the internal temp.

I just need to figure out the details of how that would work and can the be tied into same power.

you'd be looking for something outside of regular computer system hardware to create a showcase like you're describing.

or you'd be practically building an entire new computer built-in to the housing to control aRGB options, fan PWM speeds, and a temperature display.
though then it could be dedicated to 3D printing and the printer itself wouldn't need to be placed near another system.

i've never seen a Raspberry board with fan and RGB headers, but it's possible.
maybe look into a very cheap\low power mITX build instead.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the Idea.
My original thought was to have plenty of bright overhead led lighting to view the print and occasionally change the color for the neat factor while having a temperature indicator on the outside of the enclosure and enough exhaust fans to maintain the internal temp.

I just need to figure out the details of how that would work and can the be tied into same power.
Easy. No temp indicator.

https://www.amazon.com/PHOPOLLO-Dimmable-Controller-Non-Waterproof-Decoration/dp/B07N1JGFW1?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-Power-Su...ocphy=9025890&hvtargid=pla-569172351768&psc=1