[SOLVED] How to prevent program from running as an Administrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I have this very old piece of software [from 2003] than for not apparent runs itself as an Administrator;. And this I know because I can see it under the

Task Manager > Details > Elevated

And [ong story short] apparently this causes problems with some other programs trying to cooperate with it

So my question is: how do I stop this software from being elevated?

I have tried going to its EXE and turning for it ON & OFF [as it was set to OFF in the first place] the

Properties > Compatibility > Settings > Run this program as an administrator

option, but it did not reset the EXE. Also renaming the EXE did not foll the operating system

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746

Ralston18

Titan
You might be able to use Powershell to launch Sony Sound Forge "non-elevated".

Reference:

https://serverfault.com/questions/782824/start-process-as-normal-user-powershell/782852

Read through the full posting.

There are other similar links to be found but most focus on elevating versus non-elevating.

Basically just launch Powershell as an admin on your system.

Copy and paste in the applicable cmdlet at the PS> prompt. You will need to use the Sony app's .exe name. (versus "sample.exe"). Hit Enter.

Could be a different path name as well.

Not something I have worked with (full disclosure) but it may be viable and worth a try.

Be certain (as you always should be doing) that all important data, files, etc. are all backed up, proven recoverable, and readable.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
But...

I need run Sound Forge non-elavated so that it is on the same level as 3 other non-elavated pieces of software that I use for audio related work. [I did try run the rest of programs as elevated- and it worked. But there were drawback to that opposite approach that make that in overall made not really usuable to me]. So in order to send a file from some other software to Sound Forge with a keyboard shortcut - I would need to somehow incorporate that PowerShell into this shortcut; or run Sound Forge and never close it?

And I am afraid this might not work - i.e. I will successful run Sound Forge non-elavated with PS which will get me nowhere as I will fail in incorporating that into my workflow

So before I indulge myself in PowerShell- does anyone else have some other ideas?

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
For example

I need to send a selected file from the non-elavated FreeCommander to elevated Sound Forge- which is impossible. And so: I need that process of sending to open Sound Forge in a non-elevated way [evoked from FreeCommander]

I do not want to just plain open Sound Forge in a non-elevated way- because I would still need then to go to FreeCommander to the selected file and execute the sending of it to Sound Forge. That would totally disrupt my workflow thus be counterproductive

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I have finally found a working solution - in form of a Registry hack:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sony\\Sound Forge 7.0\\forge70.exe"="RUNASINVOKER"

It works- a least on my Windows 10 and for this particular program

Status
Not open for further replies.