How to price gently used Alienware 15 R2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irisaireyfung

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
I've got a 2016 Alienware 15 R2 that I bought for Architecture School. I got the best specs I could possibly afford (see below), and went for it, paid $2800. It is a great laptop but it just doesn't suit my needs (mostly portability and mobility).

Specs:
Core i7-6820HK
Nvidia Geforce 980m (8GB)
32 GB RAM
256 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Warranty transferrable (till July 2017))

So my question is, how much should I sell it for? And should I use Craigslist and eBay? Are there other websites that you guys can suggest?

Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That;s an R3 isn't it? Not an R2.

What it's worth, and what you can recoup from it are likely two very different things.

That's a gaming/workstation hybrid, with certain components appealing to different users:
1. i7-6820HK will likely appeal to both workstation (editing, photoshop) users, although gamers are likely going to be interested too.

2. 980m - more appealing to a gamer than for a workstation laptop, but with newer laptops coming with desktop GTX 1070's & 1080's, the 980m loses some appeal.

3. 32GB RAM - very much aiming for workstation use. 16GB is more than enough for any gaming task

4. 256 + 1TB is the optimum for 'average' user. Workstation/editing would probably benefit from a larger SSD.

If I were you, I'd use eBay. I'd set the reserve to be the absolute lowest I'd be prepared to take for it (otherwise it's just worth keeping) and see how you get on.

The same model can still be purchased new for a similar price you paid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B018R894S0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

If I were you, I'd use eBay. I'd set the reserve to be the absolute lowest I'd be prepared to take for it (otherwise it's just worth keeping) and see how you get on.

It's still a worthwhile machine, no doubt about it - but the market for them (especially used) is limited.
I would be surprised if you couldn't recover around $2,000 back out of it considering you have the warranty - but you are going to take a pretty substantial loss on it, that's almost guaranteed.

irisaireyfung

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Thanks Barty! It's an R2, I had Dell customise the processor for me, since my aim when ordering it was to have as fast a processor as possible, with the idea that I'd be using it for the next few years. It was also specced, like you said, for workstation use.

You're absolutely right, my aim now is to minimize my losses on what is essentially a new laptop:) I should really have considered the weight of the machine when initially purchasing, but I guess I just got carried away haha. I will try eBay. Would there be any avenues where I can reach gamers specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.