• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question How to properly clean your PC?

Minecarrot

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Hi all,
I have had my self-built PC for several years now and I have never come around to properly cleaning it out until now.
As far as I can tell the main idea is to go around all your components/fans/grills with a can of compressed air to remove dust and blockages.

What I'm looking for is any info about:
-Cleaning technique/things to focus on
-What other cleaning methods I should use
-What I should be careful with in terms of damaging components

Appreciate all feedback,
Cheers.

Newtonius

Upstanding
Sep 25, 2019
Just make sure you're in a well-ventilated room. For fans I'd recommend removing them from the case to properly clean them, along with any meshes that catch dirt. You may also want to get a new tube of thermal paste and re-paste your CPU and GPU heatsinks. Please watch a few tutorials online on how to properly do this.

That's pretty much it, it's not difficult just tedious. As to how to prevent damage, make sure you're wearing an anti-static wrist band or simply touch any nearby metal to rid your body of any static charge before touching your components.

saabir2007

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
It's probably not recommended but I personally use a low powered electric leaf blower ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merry-ELECTRIC-BLOWER-DRIER-100761/dp/B00BKXW6S0 ). Blows 99% of the dust right away.

When you're blowing around case and GPU fans, don't let them spin. I wipe both sides of all fans with a microfibre cloth instead. I use a microfibre cloth inside the rest of the case where dust is stuck. As for components, if it's really dusty, I might use an anti-static ESD brush but usually the blower will take off most dust.

I stopped using the cans as you need to buy them pretty often (and they might squirt out that liquid onto your PC...).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS