How To: Properly Plan And Pick Parts For An Air-Cooled PC, Part 1

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]Good timing as the Australian summer approaches. You guys in the US think you have it hot :S[/citation] wouldn't be my first choice of setup for ample cooling but if it works lol

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]great article, was going to revamp my cooling system in december anyway, this article helped a lot, and confirmed a lot of my suspicions (like the side fan).only prob with the side fan is that most manufacturers don't include dust filters on the side went, even if the front and psu intakes have it. you can always make/buy one though...i was going to make a similar comment regarding Indian summers . I only see my hard drive below 30*C during winter![/citation]
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]Good timing as the Australian summer approaches. You guys in the US think you have it hot :S[/citation]

nerfani

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
We have a Radeon R9 280X which gets really hot despite two fans blowing air into the case from the front and one out from the back. Thinking of adding a side fan. Should the side fan (20cm large) blow air in or out ?

I'd recommend blowing fresh air into the GPU. So intake on the side panel, it should help some.

nerfani

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
We have a Radeon R9 280X which gets really hot despite two fans blowing air into the case from the front and one out from the back. Thinking of adding a side fan. Should the side fan (20cm large) blow air in or out ?

jordio

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
Very interesting article.

If I have a fanless psu, where is better? At the top or the bottom of the case?

Thank you

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

I've tested this myself, I switched form a blower 6970 to a TWINFROZR V GTX 970 two months ago is impressive how much the TF 970 blowing hot air inside increased the average temperature inside my case also affecting the CPU temperature. Previously I used a 200mm side fan blowing ar IN which was what worked best for me, I then switched to a new Mid-tower case (Cougar MX500) which just have a 14mm side fan, I tried both in and out fan configurations and the In seems to work a little bit better, despite the hot air generated by the GTX 970.

Grenadehh

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
I know you're talking about ideal, but calling 30 celsius a normal temperature is beyond absurd. On sleep mode, any normal PC is going to still maintain 20 celsius for SATA drives. Sleep. 50 celsius after an hour of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS