[SOLVED] How To Properly Set Up Static IP

Feb 20, 2020
I am trying to help my father-in-law's small town office with their clerk's computer. She was recently diagnosed with cancer and needs to be able to work from home now. We picked her up a new laptop. The software they use is based off of programs that are set up on her desktop computer in her office. Basically a "server" was set up on the desktop that she and the othger office lady can both access. I want to set up the laptop to be able to connect to the "server" via remote desktop connection. If I am thinking correctly, I will want to change the desktop computer from a dynamic IP to a static IP first. I have computer experience, but have only worked with networking of this sort brielfy so it isn't my strong suite. My question is, what should I set the static IP address to as well as the subnet mask and DNS? I appreciate any help as does she!

Solution
You're overthinking that issue. The easiest way to do this is to install "Remote desktop" app on the office' PC (TeamViewer, AnyDesk). Once same app is installed on the laptop, everything else happens "automagically".

If your goal is to have the office PC act as a "file server", then other solution would be to set (or upgrade) office' Internet router as "VPN server", and set a Dynamic DNS service. From the laptop, setup remote network to dial into the office, and then the laptop will act as it is connected to the office' WiFi.
You're overthinking that issue. The easiest way to do this is to install "Remote desktop" app on the office' PC (TeamViewer, AnyDesk). Once same app is installed on the laptop, everything else happens "automagically".

If your goal is to have the office PC act as a "file server", then other solution would be to set (or upgrade) office' Internet router as "VPN server", and set a Dynamic DNS service. From the laptop, setup remote network to dial into the office, and then the laptop will act as it is connected to the office' WiFi.

Solution
Feb 20, 2020
Well I just might be overthinking it then. The idea is, as you stated, to be able to use it as a file server somewhat. The programs they use have the master records stored on a network that is mapped on the desktop computer in the office and for her to be able to use the laptop she will have to have the laptop connected to the same network as that desktop so it can "see" the master file and access them. So to do that from her house I was thinking that the laptop woul;d have to connect to connect to the desktop which I thought would then require a static IP, but mayve setting up the router as a VPN server would solve the problem.

It generally is unsafe to expose a machine directly on the internet. Although you can use port mapping etc to get remote access directly it also allows the hackers direct access to the machine. If you make a mistake in the security or don't know about some setting you need to make the hacker can compromise the machine.

As mentioned a VPN is your best solution. The machine will be the same as if you were sitting in the office and then accessing the files from the laptop plugged into the network. VPN support has gotten fairly common on routers and is not real hard to setup. It is actually easier in many ways because you are not constantly worrying about the server security and if there is some patch you must apply.

Still I would try something like teamviewer first. It acts as though you had a remote keyboard/mouse/monitor. It does not work well for some applications like say photo editing or online games. You can transfer files to the remote machine work on them there and transfer them back. You can also just directly work on files depends on the application which method is better.

The only downside to teamviewer is that everything passes though a remote company and they can spy on your if they want to. You likely in the grey area if it is free to use. They let individuals use it for free. Not sure how they enforce paid usage.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
It generally is unsafe to expose a machine directly on the internet. Although you can use port mapping etc to get remote access directly it also allows the hackers direct access to the machine. If you make a mistake in the security or don't know about some setting you need to make the hacker can compromise the machine.

As mentioned a VPN is your best solution. The machine will be the same as if you were sitting in the office and then accessing the files from the laptop plugged into the network. VPN support has gotten fairly common on routers and is not real hard to setup. It is actually easier in many ways because you are not constantly worrying about the server security and if there is some patch you must apply.

Still I would try something like teamviewer first. It acts as though you had a remote keyboard/mouse/monitor. It does not work well for some applications like say photo editing or online games. You can transfer files to the remote machine work on them there and transfer them back. You can also just directly work on files depends on the application which method is better.

The only downside to teamviewer is that everything passes though a remote company and they can spy on your if they want to. You likely in the grey area if it is free to use. They let individuals use it for free. Not sure how they enforce paid usage.
Just installed AnyDesk and giving it a try. Seems to be a stable program. Have to see how well it works for her with the software she uses.