How to pull more Speed? 6700k & ASUS Z170 S

andbats

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I built a new Rig, and man do I love it!!!! Everything I hoped for, now though I am beginning to be a little greedy. I have a stable overclock of 4.7 @ 1.34 volts with max temps @ 62 degrees Celsius. I figured I have lots of headroom, and was shooting for 4.9. I was unable to hit a stable overclock @ 4.8 @ 1.410 volts. I am guessing I need to now do more than just change the voltage and multiplier in the Bios. If someone can help guide me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

6700k (4.7 @ 1.34v)
Asus Z170 S
G.Skill 32 GB 3200 (4x8GB)
NZXT Kraken X61
Galax HOF GTX 1080
Samsung 850 EVO
Samsung UN40KU6290

4K gaming is the S***!!!!!

Solution
and to get higher voltage looks like you would need a modded bios

though if going from 1.34v to 1.41v doesnt get you 100mhz then more voltage than 1.41v probably isnt whats needed

tweaking some of the other things in the guide is needed assuming that can get it higher than 4.7ghz

no you might not get a huge boost in some games others may benefit from it

but dont forget that overclock is also there for everything else you do not just games

Yea, i'm agreed in the last part, but a bad step here is a dead CPU. Worth it that?

not likely to kill the cpu unless you do something really stupid with the voltage

my 2600k was at 5ghz for 5 years and still going strong for the guy i sold it to about a year ago

andbats

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
on my motherboard it wont let me increase the voltage higher than 1.410, how do I go around that. I also read some places highest VCORE is 1.45, some say 1.52, which is it?

So basicly I hit a wall @ 4.7 @ 1.34 V? In your opinion (or best guess) I can pull an extra 2-300 MHz?

How high you can overclock is primarily determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
Here are some statistics:
As of 5/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 2%
4.8 17%
4.7 59%
4.6 93%
4.5 100%

You already have a very good chip.
You could buy a 4.9 chip from silicon lottery and have them delid it for better cooling.

Ultimately it comes down to the vcore you can tolerate. Intel puts, I think, a recommended top limit of 1.5v.

your board has 1.41v limit?

thats around as far as i would want to go any way--not saying people dont go higher but i choose not to

not sure my board has a limit on the vcore--if it has i obviously havent reached it lol

my 6600k does 4.7ghz at 1.32v never seriously tried to push it higher--which is a bit remiss of me considering the motherboard i am using lol

you could possibly get few hundred mhz higher using those guides linked or not no way to tell its a silicon lottery

and to get higher voltage looks like you would need a modded bios

though if going from 1.34v to 1.41v doesnt get you 100mhz then more voltage than 1.41v probably isnt whats needed

tweaking some of the other things in the guide is needed assuming that can get it higher than 4.7ghz

Solution

andbats

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I think you are right. To get to 4.8 is going to be hard enough, I'm sure 4.9 or higher is going to take more knowledge than what I possess at the moment. I will read those guides that have been posted thouroughly, then asses if the hours of trial and error are worth it.

sensible decision as yes there would be a lot of time involved getting it stable usually once you are close to to limit of what your cpu can do