Question How to RDP into home machine - - - Win 10 Pro & Asus openVPN ?

Feb 13, 2024
In the past, I have used an open port, but wanted more security. I recently installed an RT-AX82U and can log in to the router remotely and have an internet connection through my router remotely. I’m using open VPN on the Asus router. Does anyone know how to set up the laptop to remote into my home computer via remote desktop? I would like to control my home computer remotely like I have in the past using Windows RDP, and opening a port, thanks for any help.

So I assume your are running the asus router as a vpn server.

All you should have to do is get one of the openvpn clients for your pc.

This should then make it appear as your remote pc is on the lan. Been a long time since I ran RDP but it should run the same as if your actually had the second pc connected on your lan.

Running vpn like this is the safest remote access you can get. You should not need any port forwarding.....assuming your asus router is getting a public IP on its wan port.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
The easiest way I suppose is AnyDesk using.

It's free and takes only few minutes to download/run. No additional settings are required.
Yeah. I should have said AnyDesk if remote control was all OP wanted.

With Tailscale however OP can create a faster and easier VPN than OpenVPN and run everything without configure anything,

Last edited: