How to re-use MS Office 2010 licence on another computer?

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Hello All,
I'm not sure if this is the best category for this question, I apologise if it isn't.
I know that it's possible to use Office 2010 (let's say licence for 1 PC only) on another computer, but I'm not sure about couple of things:
1. Do I have to uninstall it on one computer to use it on another one?
2. If I don't do it and for example reinstall Windows on computer where Office was originally installed, without uninstalling it first, can I still use that Office product key on another PC or it's gone forever?
3. Is it possible to check somewhere online on which computer the licence is installed (like with Office 365)?

Solution

Before long, when Windows Updates runs...it will find out. And deactivate one or the other.

USAFRet

Titan

No, it does not specify that you must 'uninstall it'. Just 'remove it'.
Delete, format, uninstall, whatever.

You are fine with installing it on another PC.
As always, only one at a time.

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
What about if the HDD fails and Windows will not boot and I won't be able to do anything with the licence?
Will it let me install it on another computer?
What if I try to install one licence (for 1 PC only) on 2 PCs? Will it let me do this? I'm guessing not.
I'm trying to figure out how this actually work; how Microsoft keep the track on how many machines the licence is used and how would they now that the licence is no longer used on the computer after reinstalling Windows.

USAFRet

Titan

Hard drives die all the time. People reinstall.
The activation and update servers will see one and only one installation from your hardware. Yes, it does that.

If you try to install it on a second PC, the servers will see that, and deactivate one.

Once upon a time (unfortunately I cannot access MSLT for Office2010) it was legal to install Office on "secondary portable device", in fact this is how I have it (desktop and laptop, same activation key). FWIW, that's the only case for Office where "multiple" use is allowed.

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014

One more thing; what if computer where 1 Office 2010 is installed is off and I try to install Office on another PC using the same product key? Will it let me do this? If yes, what happens after, when 2 PC using the same Office 2010 licence are on?

USAFRet

Titan

1 license, 1 PC.
Unless there is a specific clause in your license that allows 2. Which is sometimes the case....one at work, one at home. Or one laptop, one desktop.

But unless you purchased something like that...1 license, 1 PC.

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
My question is; if I want to reuse Office licence from broken PC, on another PC, how Microsoft will now if the computer where it was originally installed is broken (and no longer working) or just turned off (if I don't uninstall it first)?

USAFRet

Titan

Before long, when Windows Updates runs...it will find out. And deactivate one or the other.

Solution