How to reach my pc gaming goal?

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hello, I am wanting to play games like titanfall2 , the division , bf4 and overwatch with ultra settings on a 1080P monitor @ 144fps.

Currently my oldest part is a gtx 680 4GB and it plays all games at 144fps if I keep all settings at super low or 60 fps on high settings.
Is that abnormally good for a gtx 680?
My other pc parts are...
I76700k (water cooled), 16GB DDR4 OC evga ram, evga z170 classified k MOBO, Intel 730 ssd in a hafX case.

So I thought a gtx 1080 would easily help me reach my goal and future proof me...but all the benchmarks I see seem to hit 90-130 about and even the 1080 TI seems to be barely hitting what I want.
I don't wanna believe it's that hard to get what I want lol...

So basically, how do I get my rig good enough for what I desire? What would the bottle neck be if I had a evga gtx 1080? Better cpu? More ram?
I seen a video of some one playing it @ 1440P and 165fps!

P.S I think my mobo sucks at sli from what I hear , I read it's too small and cramped for two cards since it squishes them together.
I always been to scared to sli because of that and am trying to do this with one gpu.

Solution
A normal 1080 will not hit 1080Ti levels which is currently the best card on the market, it will though be considerable upgrade from the 680.

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

No overclock yet, since it is pointless atm. But once I get a new GPU I will if its needed for the goal of mine. Im guessing I have to overclock since the cpu is my bottle neck? Is that correct?
I am also thinking of swapping my cpu for a 7700k, but I dont think my motherboard has a bio's update for it.

Azurumi Shinji

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I know its the best but even that card on the benchmarks sites isnt hitting what I want or at best it BARELY hits what I want and that isnt considered stable I think.
I also really want to do this with just a normal GTX 1080 and I wish to know if its possible to do that.