Question How to REALLY unsync OneDrive?

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I am running Win 10,, build 1903 I didn't realize that m/s OneDrive would remove a file from my hard-drive, if I removed it from onedrive. Out of ignorance, I removed my "back-up"from Onedrive" and the matching files was deleted from my harddrives. When I finally figured this out, It took me weeks to recover and restore thousands of files. I looked up how to unsync onedrive and unsynced, as well as not allowing OneDrive to start when I boot the compuyter. After 2 Win10 updates, OneDrive is now syncing again, though OneDrive is NOT starting up when I power up.

There is NO little Cloud ice on the the system tray, Yet, some graphics files I made this morning are already on my OneDrive. As a test I deleted a single OneDrive file and the "original" file disappeared from my hard-drive.

I am very frustrated and want to make sure my files are NOT synced to OneDrive. I really don't need OneDrive, but I thought I would be another useful cloud option. But, it turned into a disaster.

What can I do to desync Onedrive and keep it this way? I have search on-line and followed the two or three suggestions from m/s support and other sites

Thanks.

You should check where you store these files when creating them. Windows does not decide by itself where you want to store them. If you want to be sure it's never messed:
  • keep your OneDrive' local folder somewhere aside, not within your profile folder;
  • keep your documents outside of said folder;
  • when you create a document, pay attention where it's created.

And last but not least - OneDrive keeps deleted files for a while.

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Do a search for Apps and Features> click on the link>click on OneDrive>click on uninstall.

The reason this is occurring is OneDrive has a sync feature, so whatever you do in a sync Onedrive folder, also occurs on your PC. The way to stop this is to unsync One Drive. https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-select-onedrive-folders-sync#main-content

I tried the advice on https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-select-onedrive-folders-sync#main-content and could not complete. First I don't have the Onedrive icon on my task bar. When I do open onedrive, I do not find any SETTINGS selection. So I can't get to the Onedrive sync selection window.
Am still searching.

D

Deleted member 14196

when you install 1903 and sign into onedrive, i noticed that it's setting is set to save space on your local drive, so it stays in the cloud until you need it, thus saving space. this really chaps my caboose too. I hate that feature,

anyway you should be able to uninstall it through control panel

TRENDING THREADS