Question How to rebuild raid 1?

Mindraid

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
Hi
How to rebuild raid 1?
I have a Raid PCI card "ST Lab PCIe SATA 6G Raid card 4channel" and 4 disks connected to it.
I'm running raid 1 on two of these with 2 x "16TB Toshiba Enterprise MG08 Series MG08ACA16TE 7200RPM 512MB Ent".
The disk are new and have worked for 4 days then I got an alarm in Marvell tray and the log says:
Info 0 PD Event 08/06/2022 08:02 Physical disk 0 is plugged in
Warning 0 VD Event 08/06/2022 08:02 Virtual Disk 0 is degraded
Warning 0 PD Event 08/06/2022 08:02 Physical disk 0 is unplugged

I did not un-plugg the disk but now I have a raid that is degraded. I checked the SATA cables and they look alright and are connected properly.

My first thought was to just rebuild, but I have never rebuild an raid before.
How does the rebuild work, does it take one of the disk and writes to the other or does it completely wipe both disk? (I have not a third disk with the same stuff!)
Will I lose data if I rebuild?
Both disk shows upp in Windows and from what I can see, both disk have the same info on them.

Best regards,
M

Mindraid

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
Hi...nothing happens.
I think I need to select one of the virtual disk and select rebuild but I'm unsure which I should select rebuild for and I'm going to miss some data after that.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi...nothing happens.
I think I need to select one of the virtual disk and select rebuild but I'm unsure which I should select rebuild for and I'm going to miss some data after that.

That's why you need a backup solution. Even in the rare situations in which a RAID makes sense, prioritizing a RAID over a backup is like buying a new car stereo instead of fixing your broken brakes.