News How To Record in OBS

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
No talk about NVENC?

The most important thing about OBS you should know...is that you need to turn on NVENC hardware recording.

Last edited:

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Actually you should use QuickSync over NVENC. QuickSync has far better quality and it has 0 impact to your game as the main GPU is now 100% utilized for gaming.

The last time I installed OBS I simply could not get it to record video no matter what I did. Finally uninstalled and then reinstalled and everything works like a charm now.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I wonder if there's a way to reduce CPU/GPU usage in OBS. I use OBS to record zoom calls and meetings on my laptop but it sucks out the battery very quickly. Not to mention the laptop would overheat so much it sometimes shuts down on its own.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Actually you should use QuickSync over NVENC. QuickSync has far better quality and it has 0 impact to your game as the main GPU is now 100% utilized for gaming.

Quicksync over NVENC? Are you taking the piss?

No one should be using QuickSync when NVENC is available.

NVENC has no impact on your game's FPS, because it is a dedicated encoding chip on the GPU that has nothing to do with game performance. Turning on NVENC has 0 effect on your game's performance.

The last time I installed OBS I simply could not get it to record video no matter what I did.

So why are you giving terrible advice to people if you can't even get the software to work and don't understand that NVENC is a dedicated separate chip, why give out your advice?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOtherOne
Dec 27, 2022
Quicksync over NVENC? Are you taking the piss?

No one should be using QuickSync when NVENC is available.

NVENC has no impact on your game's FPS, because it is a dedicated encoding chip on the GPU that has nothing to do with game performance. Turning on NVENC has 0 effect on your game's performance.

So why are you giving terrible advice to people if you can't even get the software to work and don't understand that NVENC is a dedicated separate chip, why give out your advice?

Actually, since QuickSync uses the chip's dedicated hardware encoder (just like NVidia has), it uses very little CPU resources to encode. In most cases less than 5% CPU even when trying to squeeze out some fine tuning. The FPS loss is practically unnoticed and nearly lossless. QuickSync is a hardware encoder and could potentially be better quality than NVENC at the moment, according to EposVox who has performed tests recently comparing H264 Quicksync to NVENC and x264 slow.