Question How to recover data after installing boot media

casonk17

Commendable
Sep 16, 2018
I messed up big time. I tried to install windows boot media on a drive with other stuff on it thinking they could both be on there. I know that was dumb. Is there any way the data on this portable drive before the installation media wiped it can be recovered? This is very important.

DSzymborski

Polypheme
I messed up big time. I tried to install windows boot media on a drive with other stuff on it thinking they could both be on there. I know that was dumb. Is there any way the data on this portable drive before the installation media wiped it can be recovered? This is very important.
You'll need a working PC to try Recuva or EaseUS.

Unfortunately, having very important data living solely on a single portable drive was an extremely poor idea. There's a chance it can be recovered, but it's far from a definite.

Typically what happens in such cases is that the Windows image overwrites the first 4GB+ of the drive. Unfortunately that's where the $MFT in an NTFS file system lives. The $MFT is where the file and folder names are stored.

The best you can do if the $MFT has been destroyed is a RAW recovery.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/

Feb 9, 2021
Microsoft allows its Windows users to create a Windows installation USB drive with the help of the Media Creation Tool. This installation media can be used to install, reinstall and repair Windows, or to upgrade to Windows 10 from previous versions. But, if the USB drive, created using Media Creation Tool, fails to boot a crashed/failed or non-bootable Windows 10 PC. You can apply different methods to fix this error such as changing boot priority and recreation of installation media.

To recover data from such an affected system try using data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery Professional etc.

Hope it will help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS