[SOLVED] How To recover files from a dead HDD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cell Tennyson

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
Hey everyone.

Recently my Seagate 1 TB desktop HDD completely stopped working. It wont show in BIOS and no question of appearing in Desktop. I am so disappointed.

Mainly because I had lots of important files, pictures and projects stored in it.

My question is what do I do to recover files from that hard disk?

Cell Tennyson

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
If you got the multimeter let me know and I 'll post the guide to measure the PCB. Again: it's not invasive in any way, not occurs damage to the board or the data.

I don't have multi meter yet and I haven't used it also so I have no knowledge of it. But if you can show me how to use those things, then I can get one.

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
I don't have multi meter yet and I haven't used it also so I have no knowledge of it. But if you can show me how to use those things, then I can get one.

"But if you can show me how to use those things, then I can get one. "

Ofc sure, that's why I asked for the exact type of the multimeter. :)

Last edited:

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Seagate as a manufacturer is far from reliable. It's drives mechanically poorly designed, and once they starts to go downhill, they does so very quickly, develops bad sectors on their own due to their weak heads. There are a number of common drives that are similar to this reliability and fragility-wise, though nowadays their Rosewood series is one of the worst contemporary drive families. I met a few before, almost all of them suffered from weak heads problem. If the drive not showing up in BIOS / UEFI then it's likely a drive's hardware failure. If this is the case, you can't do anything other than take a drive to a nearby data recovery company because it's internal firmware or the heads / preamp related failure which has no D.I.Y. solution.

This is not the mindreader course. If you want someone to help, then please be more specific: what drive and computer is it exactly? What happened to them before the accident? If you're not sure about the models, take good quality photos from their stickers! And add your location (city) for anybody who is here from your neighbourhood and can manage this task. I think it would be worth rewriting your post by specifying your location and expected job to make it easier for anyone who can help to notice.

Last edited:

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
I hear nothing from that drive. I don't have multimeter but I can get one. I am not sure though just my assumption that something must have gone wrong with the green chip area (IDK what its called technically) of the hard drive.

Get a multimeter and a T6 (Torx) screwdriver! You have to unscrew the PCB from the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.