Question How to Recover Mr. Dec Ransomware Affected Files?

Jul 9, 2019
One of my windows server got attacked by a ransomware called Mr.Dec.
I am trying to recover the files using some file recovery softwares but all the recovered files are showing as damaged or corrupted
Can someone help me on this?? Please :( :( :(

USAFRet

Titan
Unless you have an actual backup of all your data from before this happened, you are 100% out of luck.
Your files are encrypted, and without a decryption key, they will remain encrypted.

I've found no publicly available decryption key for that.

Jul 9, 2019
Unless you have an actual backup of all your data from before this happened, you are 100% out of luck.
Your files are encrypted, and without a decryption key, they will remain encrypted.

I've found no publicly available decryption key for that.

Thank you for your reply. If there is no decryptor available , can you please suggest me any strong file recovery software. We have tried most of the recovery softwares and failed to retrieve the data.

Last edited:
can you please suggest me any strong file recovery software. We have tried most of the recovery softwares and failed to retrieve the data.
Going straight to the point, you are dead.

Don't take it from us, been keeping up with the news? large corporations, government agencies hit with ransomware have no recourse, is the perfect scam.

All u have to decide now is, really, realistic, is the data worth the ransom, and there is some risk, after payment, they don't have to send you the correct key.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Admittedly, this response is likely far too late to help the original poster, but it could help future readers.

Consult with the folks on BleepingComputer's Ransomware Help & Tech Support forum.

There are known decryption methods for many variants of cryptomalware (AKA ransomware) and many where there are not.

So far, this is the best resource I have found as far as getting real expert assistance when hit with ransomware.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Admittedly, this response is likely far too late to help the original poster, but it could help future readers.

Consult with the folks on BleepingComputer's Ransomware Help & Tech Support forum.

There are known decryption methods for many variants of cryptomalware (AKA ransomware) and many where there are not.

So far, this is the best resource I have found as far as getting real expert assistance when hit with ransomware.

Bleeping computer guys know their @#%$@#$. A lot of them are in the white-hat anti virus industry veterans. IT's a win-win because people show up with new malware variants they can analyze to make their products better. You must be willing to submit sensitive information however sometimes. (Like what websites you visited)

That said, the safest place for a backup is on a NETWORK NAS. Do not give it a mapped drive under windows. Use the UNC name only. Use a unique password to access it. Set windows for infinite version backups and create an offline backup occasionally.

None of these ransomware punks deserve a single dime, peso, centado. etc., for their crappy encryption schemes...

(Those already afflicted, sorry, without backups, or a large stroke of luck....odds are very good your data will not be decrypted this century)

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/free-data-protection/
Acronis offers the above for free, and, it appears they claim no interference with large AV/AM solutions...(Such a product would have gone a long way for many of America's city governments in widely publicized ransomware incidents/outages)