how to recover my files from a USB flash drive that is asking to be formatted?

BlackSwan1977

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014

Sometimes the answer on this one is as simple as cleaning the contact points on the USB itself, and/or the computer. Before taking any drastic measures, or spending any money on recovery tools, I'd give that a try. And if that doesn't work, before giving up, try plugging it into a different USB port on the same machine. Especially if you are using an older laptop, you may find that one of the ports gets finicky and funny after years of use. I had this problem, and doing the above solved it.

livoniaz

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

I tried Recuva and it could not recover not a single file! I don't know what happened to USB flash drive. It was lost for some time and when I finally found it. it would just ask to be formatted. I don't know if someone erased my files or what else could have happened. What can I do if Recuva doesn't work?

Jp33

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
Well, first of all, don't format the drive. Just press 'no' when this message comes up.
If the drive is not physically damaged it could be be that the partition has been corrupted by a virus.
I scanned the USB stick with Malwarebytes, then removed the virus.
After that I used EaseUS to scan and recover the original deleted partition and checked to see if all files/folders were there.
This reinstalled the partition without formatting and erasing all files.
I used recovery software before and yes this worked out fine BUT the file names and folders were not there, so I had a list of jumbled documents. Hope this helps.

2safer

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Use these 1,2,3 easy pz app... Depending on the size of your files it will get them for you lickity split... It's just a trial so it will get you through this struggle just once, but hopefully thats all you'll need... Just backup everything from now on to be safe :) here ya go...
http://www.easeus.com/resource/USB-drive-format-recovery.htm

TRENDING THREADS