How to reduce minimum CPU clock speed?

DylanAi

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017
I have an Intel Core i7-5930k which, according to Open Hardware Monitor, has a 1200MHz minimum clock speed. Is there a way to reduce the minimum clock speed without affecting the maximum clock speed (which I currently have set to 4GHz with automatic voltage)? If so, is this okay or is it advisable to keep the 1.2GHz minimum?

Solution
PLLs used to generate clocks have upper and lower design limits, 1200MHz might simply be the lower limit that Intel designed into those CPUs. On my i5-3470, 1600MHz appears to be the minimum I can get by setting the maximum CPU power state anywhere below 50%.

As CPUs get more powerful via extra cores, multi-threading and IPC gains, it makes sense that Intel would extend the minimum clock range for better power efficiency under light loads.
As long as you have not specified full performance modes and/or fixed multiplier in the BIOS, and choose Balanced in Windows power plan, it should ramp the clock speeds down automatically in low-load conditions; most mainstream (6700, 7600K, 8700K, etc) Intel CPUs idle down to 800 MHz or so, but, perhaps with the HEDT, INtel and MB manufacturers might have chosne a higher minimum clock speed...(*seems to be the case if you are never seeing lower than 1200 MHz in HWMonitor)

(There might be no way to set that lower, I suspect that's an Intel/BIOS thing that you might not be able to manipulate further)

DylanAi

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017

Thanks for your response. I use the balanced power setting in Windows 10 and a multiplier in BIOS (40 x 100MHz), but even at the 3.5GHz base clock speed, I've never seen the CPU run lower than 1200MHz. The reason I ask is because I've seen 800MHz minimum clock speeds in PCs using i7-6700k, i5-7600k, i5-8600k, and i7-8700k CPUs; those are all newer models, though, and I have seen another thread from someone with a 5th gen Intel (the i7-5960x) who also reported a 1200MHz minimum clock speed, so it could very well be a 5th gen Intel limitation. If that is the case, I'm fine with it, but if it's possible to get lower idle CPU clock speeds with my i7-5930k without under-volting it, I'd like to know how.

InvalidError

Titan
PLLs used to generate clocks have upper and lower design limits, 1200MHz might simply be the lower limit that Intel designed into those CPUs. On my i5-3470, 1600MHz appears to be the minimum I can get by setting the maximum CPU power state anywhere below 50%.

As CPUs get more powerful via extra cores, multi-threading and IPC gains, it makes sense that Intel would extend the minimum clock range for better power efficiency under light loads.

Solution