How to reformat W7 for a new Mobo

mattw1013

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
My pc did not come with disks, I want to reformat my HDD for my new mobo, but I am unsure how to do this. any thoughts

Solution
Hey there again, mattw1013!

I believe you should get in touch with MS support again and ask them for additional assistance. You can also refer to their website and knowledge base on this. You should be able to create a bootable USB/CD drive with your OS version. There are numerous tutorials that could shed some light on the procedure as well.

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Mattw1013!

Since you'd be using a new mobo, I suppose you already have a new genuine Windows version for it.
If you'd be using this old Windows 7 HDD for the new OS again, you can simply begin the installation procedure and the wizard will allow you to completely reformat it while installing the new Windows version on the drive.
If you will be installing the new operating system on a different HDD or SSD, make sure you install it first (WITHOUT having that old Win 7 HDD plugged to the SATA ports). Once you have Windows up and running on the primary drive, plug back the old hard drive and reformat it through Disk Management for your secondary storage purposes.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

mattw1013

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016

My issue is that my copy of windows 7 is on the HDD now and I have the key, however, I do not have disks so in the past I can reformat it while logged in. I want to save money on my new build and want to reuse this 1TB HDD with my copy of windows 7 with the upgrade to 10. I just don't know how to actually do it.

Hey there again, mattw1013!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that unless the mobo is identical (or at least the same manufacturer) to your previous one. Changing it is like changing the computer altogether due to the fact that the operating system interacts with the motherboard, whereas the HDD is just a storage carrier for the system files. A new genuine Windows is required for your system to work properly. Make sure you contact MS support for additional assistance with Windows.

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

mattw1013

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I spoke to Microsoft and they told me my key would be fine and work to reformat to a new motherboard. My question is how, I have the upgrade to windows 10 and I am just at a loss of how to get a file of windows 10 to put on a usb drive. this is beyond what i have done